Eheim 2229 wet dry filter

phil59

Small Fish
Nov 21, 2006
also I was informed today that I would have to run another filter along side this one as it does not clean the water it is only biological do you know if this is true.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
No that isn't true. It does have mechanical filtration, that's what the filter pad in the top is for as well as the pre filter on the intake.

If your tank is over 55 gals it is still a good idea to have 2 filters. It will not only help with dead spots but will also be a failsafe in the event that the Ehiem fails.

phil59

Small Fish
Nov 21, 2006
Oh..... Mine has not got any filter pads in the top it only has a foam filter in the cylinder on the side of the filter. Was yours supplied with it or was it an extra you had to purchase I have an 80 gal tank and with just the eheim in the water gets very murky.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Mine came with a course piece of it cut exactly to fit on the top of the top basket. I did get my filter second hand so I guess the guy could have added it.

Still I do this with finer grade pad on all my fluvals and it increases the filtering ability 10 fold.