electricity in tank!!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ok i just came back from the lfs with a few things and when i went to go float the bags it kinda electricuted me :eek: so i unplugged everythig and stuck my finger in again and the same thing :eek: any suggestion??? now i have an emerald crab, a brittle star, and a few dwarf zebra hemits all floating and im scared to let them out :confused:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Joe Fish said:
My first guess would be heater.
yeah thats what i thought too but the heater has been unpluged for a while and its still doing it......i guess my question is how long would the current stay in the water??? it just sucks to have to keep sticking your finger in the tank waiting to get electrocuted :eek:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The shock shouldnt stay in the water. Once you touched the water the shock should have been the discharge of the current. If it is still doing it then there is something in the tank or something that is touching the the glass causing the current. (hubby is here and hes a nuke :p)

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
If Everything is unlpugged then it should not be shocking you. It dosnet sound like any of you fish have the ability. I would check again to see if everything is unpligged. Just to make sure. A grounding probe would only work if you could get it grounded with out touching it.

When you stick your finger in is it a constant thing? Or dose it come and go in waves?

MAHA

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well i ended up figuring out that it was my lights (i didnt notice i had the timer pluged into a extension cord) turns out the filter was splashing water on my lights and they wer soaked so i dried everything off and unpluged the filter so it wont splash water any more ;)

amystours

Medium Fish
Feb 26, 2006
PURE water? What's the chance of finding that?? lol

This is a little off-topic, but there is a certain pair of shoes I can wear when I go to Wal-Mart, and EVERY TIME I touch one of the freezer doors, it zaps me. Hard zaps, too. Was getting where I was dreading reaching into the freezer! Just a note, haven't worn those shoes since!! Guess they have a huge affinity for static!

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Pure water in a SW tank? :D without any ions.

Always use a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) sockets. And if your equipment does have a 3 prong plug use extension cords with GFI protection and plug your equipment into the extension chord.

Grounding also prevents any stray electricity. I have also learned that stray current (not voltage) can hinder the health of corals.

Rohn

Last edited: