Emergency ASAP

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
help!!!! I did a water change and didn't have enough de-chlorinator and now my babies are burning. It took me a half an hour to get to the LFS and back by I am really worried about mty fire eel . She is gasping and shaking her head. What can I do???? I only changed out 2 gallons from 105 tank

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
I am not stupid!! I had a new bottle but it had a hole in the bottom of it (I didn't know) and all that was left when I went to use it was maybe a teaspoon. That was helpful...thanks

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Two gallons out of 105 should not even be enough for your fish to tell a difference. Personally I would have just left the tank down 2 gallons and gone to the store to get the dechlor. Unless you know that your tap water has chloramines, the chlorine will come out of the water naturally with time and if you swish the water around a lot get it oxygenated it should be good. I've forgotten dechlor on a water change before and the fish dont seem to mind too much, as long as its not like a 50% change or anything.

tydirian

Medium Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I am with froggy if you only changed 2 gallons there is no way the fish are having a problem with the chlorine. It could be another issue. No one used one of your buckets to wash their car did they?

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
Nope..I have other fish in there as well, the ACL, Kissing Gourami, Algae Eater, and a teenie Jack Dempsey that My little girl just got for her 20 Gallon. Everyone else seems fine. The Eel is acting very strange. Almost Gasping for air and twitching her head. I am so scared I am going to lose her. I added almost the whole bottle of de-chlor and swished around the water but she is still under the rock and seems almost lethargic besides the head twitch every now and then. OH Man. I am so freaked :eek: Oh Hey I took out 2 gallons witht the 1 gallon bucket and used the hose to fill the tank back to the mark. The thing I wonder is when I was putting the water back into the tank the Eel swam directly into the stream from the hose and stayed there for a while until I shooed her away. Could that be it???

Last edited:

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
I thought about the whole shrimp too but she was quite normal until the water change. I am sorry I snapped at you TLM I am sooo upset. I have only had her for a week. I am in love with her already. Can Chlorine burn heal?

Jan 17, 2005
Dundee, MI US
Visit site
IvannaFish said:
I took out 2 gallons witht the 1 gallon bucket and used the hose to fill the tank back to the mark. The thing I wonder is when I was putting the water back into the tank the Eel swam directly into the stream from the hose and stayed there for a while until I shooed her away. Could that be it???
Just curious, what was the approximate temp. of the water coming out of the hose? I'm assuming that if you got it straight from the tap you had to use either cold or hot water or you have a Y that combines the two.

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
probably around 74-75 not too hot or cold. I am curious as to maybe the eel absorbs through its skin since it does not have scales. Maybe the Chlorine in the water was absorbed? I am grasping at straws here.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Well, I did a little reading on chlorine toxicity. It apparently depends on a lot of factors, including pH, heavy metals in the water and oxygen available. There weren't any definite figures on pH. If he got the full measure of chlorine in his gills, that is at toxic levels, but if the rest of the water is OK, he has a chance. Trembling and discoloration are signs of chlorine poisoning. Make sure you have the tank well covered, as chlorine poisoning can make their escape bahaviours kick in.

I would suggest you add an airstone to the tank, if you don't already have one, as oxygen available can help if his gill function is reduced.

Good luck with him.

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
I thinks she is doing better. I have been staring at her since all this and she seems to have stopped twitching and her breathing has slowed a little. She looks more alert but isn't swimming up to greet me like she normally does. I turned of the lights to make her more less stressed. I hope that shrimp isn't the cause. It was a pinky sized shrimp but she was fine before all this. Jeeze is this what I have to look forward to every water change?? I will treat the bucket and then pour it in next time to see if that makes a difference. I guess tonight will tell :(

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Aww Ivanna...this is just "one of those things" that can happen being a fish keeper...I really had so FEW troubles keeping fish years ago but as I said, stuff happens that sometimes we dont know why or understand but can only guess at. One thing you can do, is when you are filling your tank back up squirt the de-chlor along WITH the stream of water going into your tank and just make sure none of your fish get under the water stream directly. Did you add some rock salt after your water change? It can help relieve stress, which can help promote healing. Im glad to hear she is acting more normal. I would keep the lights off in the tank for awhile, which too would help her stress level and like Lotus said, if you have an air stone it would help to get it going in the tank as well. Good luck hon...

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
All is well in the Tank now. She is doing great! Swimming around doing the stuff she normally does but won't eat. I saw a HUGE poo in the substrate and am wondering if maybe it was the shrimp that caused all the trouble. Maybe the water change causing the stress and maybe stomach problems from the stress. It was a large WHOLE shrimp...One will never know I guess. I hope she didn't suffer any damage. Thanks for all your input guys. XOXO ;)