emergency help needed!!!

H2O

Medium Fish
Oct 4, 2005
SW Michigan
My dog just ate probably around 1 tablespoon of Jungle anti-parasite medicated fish food for internal parasites.
Does anyone know if this is poisonous for dogs?

(I'm going to be signing off and checking back while I look around the 'net for info)

Edit: looked up active ingredients: levamisole, metronidazole, praziquantel, all at 1% concentration or less. Went to merck vet manual site, all ingredients have been used on dogs, can be toxic, but I really doubt she ate enough.
Anyway, am going to bed, significant other will keep an eye on the dog for a couple of hours.

Last edited:

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
I know that metronidazole (trade name is Flagyl if I'm thinking the right one) is an antibiotic, which I don't think would hurt your dog, especially at that low of a concentration. Unless he is like a teeny-tiny lap-dog (like weighing under ten pounds, maybe even less) I think he's going to be just fine. To be toxic, the concentration would have to be a lot higher, especially for an animal as large as a dog. Considering that it is made for tiny fish, I would reckon to guess that your pup is going to be fine. Unless, unfortunately, he has some kind of crazy allergic reaction. Monitor for labored breathing, difficulty walking, lethargy, loss of apetite....that sorta thing. Honestly, I don't think you have to worry though. Hope everything works out.

H2O

Medium Fish
Oct 4, 2005
SW Michigan
Thanks everyone for your help and concern...Lily (45lb doberman mix) is doing just fine. I was worried about a poisonous reaction; such as aspirin is ok for dogs, but some other pain relievers are poisonous. But in this case, all of the active ingredients have been used on dogs before.
Again-thank you. I love all animals, besides my two fish tanks, I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

H2O

Medium Fish
Oct 4, 2005
SW Michigan
I did call a vet, but as it was after hours, the office that had emergency hours gave me a phone number to speak to a vet that would have cost $65 just for the phone call (but I would have paid that if I wasn't fairly certain after doing research on the merck site that the ingredients were non-toxic in small doses.)
Might try poison control if there is a next time.