Emperor 400 cleaning ?

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
I just got a used setup and am working on re-staining the stand, but it came with an Emperor 400 which is pretty dirty (white stuff all over it).

He said he has never replaced the Bio-wheels 2 of them just cleaned them. But the 2 filters are brand new used for about a week. How should I clean out the unit, don't think water will work alone. And should I purchase new filters or Bio-wheels or is it all ok since it was in his tank?

Also what the best way to clean out the 75 gallon tank, not very dirty.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You can clean with a solution of water and vinegar or water and bleach, then rinse and dechlorinate well.

I'd get rid of the filters and use new. The carbon can't be cleaned, and I know I wouldn't risk getting diseases from someone else's tank.

You can soak the biowheels in a solution of bleach and water, then rinse and dechlorinate well.

You can also clean the tank with vinegar and water, or just plain water. Taking it outside and using a hose is usually easiest.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
what is the white build up? I get some of that where my hood meets my tank and it's kinda grainy like salt but I don't have any salt in my tank, is it just mineral build up from evaporation?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, the white stuff is mineral buildup from evaporation. You can often remove it with a razor blade if it's in a part of the tank you can't remove.

If it's on the hood, you can take the hood off and clean it with vinegar or something like LimeAway (made for tanks).