Endlers not giving birth!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
As you may know, I have 2 pregneant endlers in my tank, but its been like 2 months and they haven't given birth. Are there any signs that will tell me that they are close? Is there something that triggers them to give birth? Please help!

Dec 14, 2009
England
Yes, i agree with lotus. I find water changes to be a good way to trigger it! i also like to feed freeze dried blood worms to them as this is also something ive found to get them 'ready'.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
I do feed freeze dried shrimp a few times per week, so that should help. I don't think they have a square belly yet, but they are close! Thanks for your help, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with them... It is normal for them to go a month without mating isnt it?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The only problem I had was with some Endlers with some kind of congenital defect. The females got pregnant but were somehow unable to give birth. They got extremely bloated laterally and were very round. It was only a few females out of the thousands I've bred, so it's not common.

Often, livebearers will take a while with their first fry. I'm not sure if this is our impatience or they just aren't happy with their surroundings yet. Once they have fry, they just keep having them!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Ok, well this should be their first birth, so maybe that is just the case. They are not extremely bloated or anything, so I guess I'm ok. I just did a water change like 20 minutes ago, so I'll be watching for the birth(s). I added a clump of plant cutting and a plasctic mop plant type of thing to previde cover for the fry.
I guess all I can do is cross my fingers!

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Good news! One of the females gave birth! I saw at least 2 fry at the same time, and only managed to catch one and put it in a breeding net thing. I think they are hiding in the rock, but I can't be sure because I saw my platies eating (or trying to eat) fry. I set up a fry trap which is just a jar with little holes in it and bait, so I'll see if any find their waY in there tonight.