epson salt

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
That may have been a planted tank thread that was posted about a week ago,,it has to do with adding something needed for DIY ferts I think..I dont know if epson salt has the same effect as rock salt or aquarium salt as the skin irritant. Someone more knowledgable will chime in eventually..lol

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Epsom salt can raise the carbonate hardness of your water, depending on the buffering capacity to start with.

I've never heard it messing with the slime coats of fish, or being used as part of home made plant ferts before.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Whiskers, I think you're thinking of aquarium salt, which btw, thanatos, is unnecessary in freshwater tanks. (Don't buy it... haha) Epsom salts is supposed to be used in a hospital tank in cases of dropsy, as it is said to help draw excess fluids out and also to be a fish laxative.

As Orion says, it can also be used in homemade buffering salt mixes, which are for specific uses in cichlid tanks. In a mixed tank such as yours, thanatos, using it as such would be a mistake.

You really, really need to stick to basics for now. Later, once you learn how to keep a tank going without any catastrophes, there will be plenty of time to explore all the advanced areas of fishkeeping. Babysteps, thanatos. Babysteps.

joy613

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Epsom salt is used to help treat swelling when a fish has dropsy. I don't believe it is a cure since it kept coming every few weeks. The fish did live about 6 months longer.