(especially) lazy fish

Sep 16, 2005
*SICK*

my gourami's been acting a bit weird lately... yesterday he was swimming much slower than usual and letting himself get thrown around by the filter current, slight as it may be.

today, he's just been sitting on rocks, like so.

i'm worried...

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah...thats not good. Do you have test kits and can you tell us your ammonia/nitrite and nitrate levels, also what size tank, how often you do water changes, if there are any other fish in the tank and how long its been set up?

Has he been eating?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
not to be the bearer of bad news here but that is exactly what my gourami was doing two days b/4 my tank went to hell. I would get started immediately.

Sep 16, 2005
ammonia and nitrite zero. nitrate approaching 10 ppm. 5 gallon planted tank. set up and cycled since mid july. weekly water change done two days ago. 2 albino cories and a cherry barb are his tank mates: they seem to be doing just fine. he did eat yesterday, but he wasn't acting strange until a few hours after feeding.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Great, sounds like your water quality is great and the tank is cycled and other fish are doing well. I'm not the best at diagnosing and treating, but if I were you I think I'd try to feed him see if he eats and if he doesn't get a lot better or has stopped eating then you'll probably need to medicate. A lot of times when they have swimming issues its because they have injured their swim bladder, but that is more like having troubles staying upright and swimming forward etc. Lotus has linked to a disease database a couple of times that might help you diagnose a problem... I can't seem to find it right now, but if you browse in the disease forum you'll probably run across it?

Sep 16, 2005
yes indeed.. it seems as if there's something wrong with his swim bladder. thanks for the link, TLM.

he's been in the tank for almost a month now with no problems though.. nothing that should have stressed him out or injured him.

i suppose i see quarantine and antibacterials in the immediate future.

Nov 9, 2005
Washington
Water quality appears to be fine, I wonder if the fish is getting enough of a varied diet? Maybe try switching it up, I know that feeding Brine Shrimp helps to fix swim bladder problems with some fish. Try feeding Brine Shrimp or Room temp pea's with the skins pealed off. These are both good snacks for fish and might help cycle something out of the sick fishes system.

-Xan