Ethical Dilemma

turnblom79

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I recently posted a question about my wife's betta fish. It is 4 and half years old and moves very little. The advice I received was that it is just old and close to dying. Here is my question now, mostly for the women of the forum: When the fish finally does die, should I try to replace it before my wife notices? Would you be mad if your significant other did this to you? Thanks in advance for the input.

Dude if your wife knows you did that, you'll be on the couch for at least a month, more if she's really attached to it. Besides, if it's moving a little now during the course of the day she'll know something's up when it becomes hyperactive... unless she's that gullible.

Let her decide what to do with "her" fish and if she wants another one when the time comes.

Seriously that question is like asking about a cat that looks exactly like the one I have now dying and replacing it with it's twin....

Wow..... *thumbsdow

Sep 10, 2006
Denver, CO
Ouch! I'm not a woman but I would be furious! Let her know that she is lucky that it lived as long as it did. 4 1/2 is a long lived Betta. Maybe when the time comes, go to a really nice fish store and let her pick out a new one. Maybe a different kind of Betta than the other. She will notice. They always do! You could just for research sake, move something in the house and see if she notices. If she does notice, think about how much time it took her to notice. Not something too big or too small.I have found this quite informative in the past. This should give you a base guide line if you find yourself toiling with this delima again in the future. Ok, ok, so it's a test to see what you can get away with! LOL

Steven

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Well turnblom79 that is a really caring gesture. If I were you, I'd get another betta fish, tell her you liked her fish so much you wanted one for yourself. She'll probably get attached to your fish too and when her fish dies, you can give her your fish. I think that gesture will send her over the top and she fall in love with you all over again. Good luck, and keep us posted. :)