euro reef vs. Octopus

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
i will be buying a new skimmer soon (the moment my tax return money comes in :D) and was debating between the two skimmers. was hoping to get your opinion on wich would perform better or just your expirence w/ them. dont be shy to suggest a different skimmer as well.

p.s i will be using this skimmer in a 30g sump for my 40g display tank

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Why not an AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer wMaxi-Jet 1200 Pump. Works like a charm. Have them myself and am very happy. Also, this skimmer get's very good reviews.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I used an Aqua Remora Pro Urchin in sump on my 75 and it worked great.....takes up a bit of room but pulled out a lot of skimmate.......

I now run a Euroreef in sump and it is equally as efficient and if I had my choice I think for in sump I would stick with the euroreef.....the main reason is the easiness of cleaning and removing it other than that I have no cons to either.

I have heard only good things regarding the octopus.......

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Euroreefs are awesome...simple plug and play and they make a ton of skim. Octopus skimmers are budget skimmers unless you get into the Extreme/hurricane models. I would recommend the euroreef hands down, especially for your application

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Even though it's an "economy" skimmer, I'm VERY happy with my Vertex so far. Apparently they come from the same factory as the ER's but if I recall they are cheaper. The IN 80 would be more than enough for your tank size but couldn't hurt to look at the IN 100, leaves more room for up grades later ;). So far I haven't felt as though I need to mod it but the Impeller (at least on the IN 180 anyway) looks like it was made so a mesh mod would be easy. It also looks like the design on the first generation would be exceptionally easy to do a recirc mod. Like I said though... I don't feel the need to, but it's nice to know I could ;).

Chris

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
i had a euro reef on my old tank and was real pleased with it so i guess i'll just go with whats worked for me before. i still have the SP2 pump from my old euro reef so i guess i just need to order the a new Rs80 body. thanx for your opinions!