Evaporation ??

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I was just wondering why my tanks evaporate so quickly. within 2-3 days after doing a water change (and filling the tank to the trim on the top) there is about an inch of water out of the tank. :confused: I only have the light on for a few hours at night, so I am not sure what is causing it. Is this normal? If not what do I need to do to fix this? Thanx.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
If you live in a dry climate, you'll have a LOT more evaporation than if you live in a humid climate. I lived in Maryland and Pennsylvania, and it was SO HUMID there that I had just a little bit of evaporation. But here in Portland in the summers the humidity is extremely low, and it has also been hot to boot these past few weeks. Just top off and don't worry about the evaporation. Have you looked for leaks?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah...around here evaporation is normal. If its something that has changed I'd look for leaks like Delta said just to make sure you didn't crack something or your filter didn't crack and has a slow drip etc. Otherwise just top it off :)

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Ok. I am sure there are no leaks. Both tanks stay around 75 degrees F. And I have an airconditioner and 3 fans running in the room where they are so its not hot. (If I dont have those running, this time of year, it would be hot.) It has been happening since the begining but I just figured that I would ask. Thanks for all the answers.