ever heard of a skilter

00nothing

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2004
Visit site
found this filter/ skimmer setup on big als and was thinking wow this would be great for my 30 gallon but cant really find any info on it such as a manufactures page can anybody help me

Mar 24, 2004
gainesville, fl
plaza.ufl.edu
no, it's beyond a terrible rep. there are whole webpages devoted to the destruction of this thing. too bad, too, because it is a great idea.

i wouldn't recommend them for anything other than a 20g or smaller, and even then, with reservations. a friend of mine bought one thinking it'd be awesome....it wasn't...and she gave it to me. so i set up a 20g with this skilter. it DOES skim contrary to what some say, but when it skims it puts a billion bubbles into your tank and emits the most irritating grating noise of all time. the WHOLE time it going, not when it starts or something. so i use it to skim when i'm at work or something...not around to hear the LOUD, AWFUL noise it makes. during the time it's making that noise, it is skimming. it doesn't skim well, but it skims a little, and most of what it skims is just pure foam. as for a mechanical filter, it does a great job...never had a problem with it there.

but for a 30g, sorry, i'd have to say it's almost useless. there are FAR better skimmers out there. almost all of them are better IME than the skilter.

00nothing

Small Fish
Mar 19, 2004
Visit site
okay thanks guys i was having a real hard time finding the information i was looking for think i'll stick with my emporors and get a real protein skimmer

any thoughts on the prizm thats the one the guy at big als recomended

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Umm, lots of people hate them but personally mines not too bad. You don't have many option on tuning them as unless I'm missing something you can't lift or lower the collection cup much. All you can do is increase/decrease the flow rate. It's also a bit noisy but so are most hangons. CPR's have a much better reputation but are much more cash