exact ammonia for fishless cycle.

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
I've read several times where someone wants to know exactly how much ammonia they need to dose the new tank with to get 5ppm. It's discouraging to toss in a capful and then have to do a huge w/c just to fix it.

Well, here's a thread for people who want to know exactly how much ammonia to put in their tank. Provided they can get ahold of the same ammonia as me. Anyone else out there who knows how to measure the proper amount and can provide the brand of ammonia they have, please chime in. Here goes mine:

Stop & Shop brand Pure Power Clear Ammonia (blue label)

I use a dropper that's graduated up to 5ml (an old medicine dropper)

8 ml ammonia in 10 gallons = 5ppm.

Last edited:

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
Testing 10 minutes after the ammonia has been put in gives you an accurate measure of what level your ppm of NH3 is at. Every tank is different and there is no one set measure.

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
rohnds said:
There isn't an exact empherical formula as to how much NH3 to add per gallon of water to properly cycle. It depend various factors that can vary from tank to tank.
I varies because different ammonia brands use different concentrations of ammonia in their bottle, no? That being the case, using the exact same brand as I do should give you the same result. Am I wrong here?

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Alright.. so I'm sorry to mislead you guys.

What I was trying to create was a thread where everyone posts their brand and formula. Then when someone wants to fishless cycle their tank, they could find a brand that they have locally (like anyone who's near a Stop & Shop can get the ammonia above) and then they're all set.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Good idea figuzel

Honestly I have no idea how much...I used a cap ful or two cap fuls or a cap and a half for my tanks cycling and I dont remember the exact brand.

I think the safest way is to put in a small amount and test after an hour or so. I dont think 10 minutes is long enough to get it mixed evenly in the tank. If you have a small tank to cycle (ie 10 gallons or smaller) you should start with a few drops. If you have a large tank that you're cycling (over 30 gallons) I might start with a capful or a full medicine dropper etc.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
What are the effects of having more than 5ppm of Ammonia in the tank? If you go by Iggy's cycling sticky, it would seem that after the second day, you will have more than 5ppm in the tank (part of the 5ppm from the first day would still be in there when you add the 5ppm for the second day). Is 5ppm a magic number?

If during my cycling I was using 7ppm on a daily basis, it will still cycle wont it?

fiugzel

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2005
Metuchen, NJ
Hey Mainer.. I think the 5ppm is a good guestimate as to the ammount of waste a 'full load' of fish will produce in one day. Once the filter can deal with 5ppm in 24hrs then you're ready.

And yeah, adding the 5ppm blindly each day will result in higher concentrations initially, so what I did was test for ammonia and nitrites daily. At first, the ammonia would be less but not gone. So I'd add enough to get back up to 5ppm - not exceed it. Eventually, the ammonia was reading 0 daily, so a full dose was added. That's why I think knowing the formula to getting 5pmm is important.

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Exceeding it will not ruin the cycle though? Just wondering if I should start my cycling over or not. I prefer not to because that will be a lot of water to change out.

Last edited:

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I hope so. I did about a 50% water change this evening and there is still a good amount in there. Checked the Nitrite, and that was at 0ppm. I am going to stick with a capful a night and see what happens. Not really in a rush, but I don't want to be wasting my time either if it's not going to work. We will see! Thanks for the help.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yessss too much ammonia slows things down immensely! You need to keep your ammonia at a measurable level (ie 5ppm works nicely in the middle of the scale somewhere) The only reason you need to know how much ammonia got you to that level is because once it starts dropping to 0 after 24 hours you need to add that same amount once a day until your cycle is finished.