extreme nitrate.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
my uncle has a 55g with koi's and goldfishes....its packed...

theres like a bacteria exposion....its cloudy as heck.

and he told me that his fishes were dying...(wonder y...)

i checked his nitrate and it was pure red...(off the char reading...)

right now i need to know whats a great thing that gets rid of all this nitrate?

hes using Accu-Clear but doesnt look like its helping a whole lot...

he has a stock filter...and gave him my power head its a 300gph. its helping a lot of flow.

im a saltwater guy so i have no idea how to deal with this...

waterchanges does not work for him...

sclabman

Large Fish
Jan 21, 2007
L.A.
a long term solution would be to either get a bunch more filtration going on in that tank (canister and/or a couple HOBs) or give some fish to the LFS and do a water change.

I'm not too familiar with the chemicals you can buy to remove nitrates and stuff... i never use them.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
What's wrong with water changes. It strikes me as a far cheaper, better plan than dumping in a load of unproven chemicals. All you need is a piece of hosepipe.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Water changes are the only way to immediately remove nitrate. This is not an option. Filters don't remove nitrate -- that's what water changes are for and plants can help considerably unless there's a very high bioload such as in this case.

Koi are not aquarium fish -- are they being overwintered? A 55 really is only sufficient for 5 goldfish MAX. What are the other parameters? How many fish are in this tank? How long have they been in it?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
OMG... I dunno if fifty percent wc a day will help that situation. Nitrate has to be changed out of the tank, period. Wc's aren't working for him cuz he isn't doing nearly enough to help. How could he, without changing water all day long. :( -- I hope he has a Python. --

Goldies munch plants, so forget that idea, they wouldn't have a chance.

I hope he's at least feeding very, very lightly.

Go get some great big rubbermaid containers and put power filters on them and spread those fish out a bit. Otherwise die-off will take care of the overpopulation. I feel for him; koi are beautiful and I'd hate to lose them too. It's nice of you to help him out.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Like everyone else has said, water change, water change, water change- it's the only way to keep them alive temporarily. They really shouldn't be in there to begin with. Does he plan on relocating them?

And no chemical is going to get rid of nitrates for him; if anything, they'll only mask it for a bit, but probably not at that level. As long as your getting nitrate readings, the filter is doing its job converting everything, so unless he splits them up into more tanks, more filters aren't going to do much IMO. Did you test the Ammonia and the Nitrites too?

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Speaking as someone who has tap water that reads 30ppm Nitrate, you may take my word for it that I have had some practice with most methods of Nitrate removal. I't so bad around here that a water change is a last resort when it comes to Nitrate removal.

There are a few "nitrate removal Pads/packs" on the market that soak the stuff up and hold on to it - then you "re-charge" the pack by running a salt solution through. They are exceptionally effective - for the first 5 gallons, after which the output readings start to rise very noticably. To generalise price wise - you'd need about ten of them in a seperate filter arrangement, and you'd have to run them for 6 hours a week, followed by a salt solution arrangement to have them ready for the next time. That's ten packs at 10 bucks (plus) apiece. Run them for more than 6 hours and they will have no effect - they'll simply be full up with Nitrate. A single pack has proved pointless at around the 30 min mark in my experience. It's a lot of money - and a lot of work ....... "Nitragon" cannisters are the same stuff - so expect the same results.

Of course, you can go for the disposable industrial packs - if you have a few hundred bucks lying around .......

Anaerobic bacteria ? - yep - you guessed it - been there .... done that. Deep sand beds, substrate additives that promote the growth of the stuf. Not a lot of water flow through a sand bed though - and if you arranged it so it did have a flow, you'd oxygenate the sand bed, killing off the anaerobic bacteria. Catch 22 really. A variation on this theme is the good old de-nitrator. A cylinder or coil with a very low flow rate set up. Hard to set up as a rule, and with such a low flow rate, in your case you'd need more than one. But hey - they cost up to 200 bucks a piece - take 2 months to start working - then you have to fine tune the things ....... again - costs and unreliabilty issues mean they work for some people, but not perhaps for most.

Starting to sound disheartening isn't it ?

The answer as always is very simple ........ Discus keepers have been using it for years. 5ppm Nitrate in a Discus keepers tank is cause for concern, so they use a "total loss water system". Fresh water trickles in at one end of the tank from the water supply - and trickles straight out and down the drain again at the other end of the tank. A permanently ongoing water change basically. Not hard to set up, easy to control flow rates etc. Works like a dream - all you need to do is invest in a bit of extra plumbing, which is considerably less expensive than all those filter packs you'd be chucking away all the time.

Sod science - sod chemicals - just good old fashioned human ingenuity.

Or he could keep less fish of course ........ lol

So Pleco Collector and the others had it right basically - water changes - I'm just suggesting a different approach to dealing with that in such an extreme case.

Have fun *celebrate

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
Jake said:
Water Changes , I have also heard that putting carbon bags in the filter can help clear the cloudiness. Hopefully everything works out!

your right about that...i dont know y hes not using the jars that i told him to buy...

btw his nitrate is around 80+ not joke...i did a strip and liquid test....i was like :eek:

im going to have to ask him to cut down on his livestock...but i dont think hes going to listen...i cant see him everyday. so when everything goes well and i turn my head hes probably going to have like 20 fishes in it...

im going to try to get him a better active carbon....if the ones he has doesnt help.

about the waterchanges...its not helping him...he takes off 50% and its still high....

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree. He needs to do a 50% water change once a day for as long as it takes to get it down to a reasonable level. That is not going to KEEP the levels down, so I'd say get it down as low as possible and then monitor to see how long in between 50% changes he should wait. Depending on the stocking it might be once a week or it might be like 3 times a week. Once he realizes how much maintenance it is going to take to keep those fish in that tank he'll probably either not do it and lose fish, or he'll donate some of those koi to someone with a pond.

papyrus

Medium Fish
Mar 12, 2007
My gravel vacuum was too small for my tank.The nitrate and nitrite levels were in the danger zone.I was doing the changes but not going deep and not having the suction to remove the debris made my effort useless.A larger vacuum was in order,it was amazing what had sifted down ,uneaten food,debris etc.It was not visible,the water was clear and the fish are healthy.Hopefully I caught it in time.What wonderful advice you all have given to help the Koi.They are very wonderful.-D*SUNSMILE*