fake rock sheet

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
i was at my LFS and today i saw this new thing they have in there... it is fake rock. it is some sort of foam or something because it is squshible. they had it set up in a 10 gal tank and it looked sweet. it is close to like backing but it goes inside the tank. it looks like rock. has anyone seen this anywhere else because it would be over 200 bucks for it for my tank. it is hard for me to put a bunch of live rock in there because it is only 12" wide. but 6ft long. this would be a good adition to my tank. thanks

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yes I have, it is not worth it. really, really, not worth it. it decays eventually, and also suffers from color changes, stuff can get trapped in or behind it, causing problems, I again would buy either more rock or maybe invest the 200$ in some other worthwhile purchase, like a good skimmer if you do not have one already.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Some of it is very good. The better ones don't decay, and the problem with water , wastes stagnating behind is really a nonproblem in most situation i.m.o. Some of it does look awful tho', generally the more you pay, the better it gets. Punlic aquariums use it a lot.
It will not help you with filtration very much at all as it is a fairly smooth, non porous surface. It's up to you if you use it - I have seen it done, and it can look very good. If you have a narrow tank aquascaping is a pain in the butt, as I guess you are finding.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Errm, well the best I have seen is mde in Sweden or the Netherlands, but either way, with shipping to the US, it will be ridiculous cost- some huindred of dollars. Will have a look/think - google?, Dr F and S?