fat fish

Nov 5, 2009
CT
for those of you who saw my last thread i had 2 unknown fish which i found out today are a variety of molly. my main question here is that the bigger of the two seems to have a very protruding belly. i'm wondering if it could be pregnant or is it sick? or is it normal and just looks odd to me? i can take pictures if that would help.

an unrelated question is that i'v noticed that the bigger of the mollies (the pregnant/sick one) seems to be aggressive towards the other when the tank light is on. when it's off they act like the best of friends. but after a few minutes of the light being on the big one starts chasing the little one all over the tank. could this be caused by the light being too strong/bright or something similar?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
usually if the light is too strong, the fish would rather hide than start getting active, so they light sounds fine.

Yes post a pic.
sound like its either pregnant, or is a balloon molly which is fat by nature.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Shes active, so she's pregnant. (if she was sluggish and just floating on the bottom, i would suspect bloat.)

although pregnant molly can get twice that belly size. she might have a few more feeks to go. then again it might be too young, and might drop fry sooner. I just dont know how big that thing is. if its 3 inches then its an older one and will take longer to deliver. if its like 1.5 then its very young and might drop soon.

Nov 5, 2009
CT
oh boy. first tank i set up since i was like 3 and i'm gonna get fish babies right off the bat. lol. what equipment and such will i need to care for the fry? will the filter suck em up? she's about 1.5 - 1.75 inches. if this info is already here on the forum just point me in the right direction