Feather Duster Again

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
This AM I checked on my tank and my feather duster was all the way out of it's thing, but still attached to it. I touched the tube and it retracted back in so I'm not sure what's going on. I did move it to an area with less water movement so I thought maybe it wasn't enough current to get the right amount of food. So I moved it this morning back to it's old spot to see if that helps. It was still reaching way out of it's tube. What does this mean?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have heard of them abanondoning their tube and going to a different location and rebuilding though this is hard on them and they often don't make it. If you moved it back to where it was it should be okay....just keep your eye on it..

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Well, the feather duster has passed. I came home from work and he was out of this tube. He did have a bite looking mark on him. I'm not sure if I did that the last time I moved him or what. I don't have any fish in the tank so I don't know who would have tried to eat him. Maybe that bristleworm I seen? He was still moving around a little bit and I tried to get him back in his tube, but he didn't have much move left in him. Do you think my tank is mature enough for a feather duster? I thought it would be..

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Are you sure it was gone? Sometimes if you place it n a sheltered space it would settle in and make a new tube.....though they usually starve during the process. I would wait a while.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I had a simular experiance with one of my dusters a while back. Basically same things happend...started dangaling out of it's tube and I notice the side of it looked like it burst open about half way down the worm. It was dead within the day and became food for my brittle star.