Feather Duster, need help quick

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Well yesterday I got home from work and was checking out some of the snails I got in my tank. one was sitting on my magnet cleaner so i got to get a really good look at him. I noticed that something was comming out of his shell, then going back in, then another one on his shell came out, then they both did. What the???? Could that be the snail? Maybe it is some sort of way that he feels to see what is around him??? I went to the lfs last night to pick up some fish when I asked what it could be. He told me that it is a feather duster and probably latched onto him at some point before I got him. What is a feather duster? I always thought that it was some sort of coral. If it is a coral, won't it die due to my "lack" of lighting strength? Do I need to feed it, and if so what do I feed it? Also, it is so small I tried to find the snail again this morning but of course he is mia, even if i did find the snail the feather dusters are so small that it is easily missable.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
those small feather dusters are filter feeders and no you don't need to feed it. If you look at your live rock closely you may see them all over it.....harmless and interesting additions.....

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
what type of snail is it? I would think it is more likely an appendage you didnt know the snail had rather than a feather duster, but possibly could be a duster I guess. I wouldnt worry about trying to feed it as it would be insanly difficult to add stuff to the tank that would benefit a duster in a snails shell.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
I know that the snail is a turbo snail. Not much more than that. It is a small one ( if that helps).

The feather duster is very small. I noticed a few more openings on some other snails but without any feather dusters comming out of them.

Does this mean that the feather duster will more than likely die?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
its hard to say if it will die. If its lasted this long in transport and no one specificly feeding it, it could have a chance. I would just leave it be and see how it progresses.