Featherdusters and their care

aquabat

Small Fish
Oct 9, 2005
Pacific NW
When i was growing up my uncle had the coolest saltwater tank. This is of course what has inspired my own aquarium fascination, and i remember so many cool animals he had that i want to have!

Featherdusters are WAY cool, but are they hard to care for? How much light do they need? i planned on keeping my tank fairly low maintenance, with hardy fish and inverts and sticking to PC lighting.

Does anyone here keep featherdusters? Are they hard to keep?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
featherdusters are not photosynthetic; they are filter feeding worms...they tend to die in captivity over a period of time because their nutritional needs are not usually met.

as far as the PC lighting it depends on what your plans are for the tank. what size? what PC lighting? What do you want to keep? etc? tell us more and we can help more

aquabat

Small Fish
Oct 9, 2005
Pacific NW
That's too bad about the featherdusters. i won't try to keep them then. i don't want to attempt to house something just so that it can eventually die, simply because i think it's "pretty".

No worries about anything else. i have a 35 hex tank and i haven't bought my lighting yet, but i was planning on Coralife's 96 watt 50/50 lighting. i don't even have my tank set up yet. Still in the research/planning stages.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the dusters are not impossible but they do have a poor track record

i see you are in the PNW. if you are in the Salem OR area i would strongly reccomend you check out Advanced Aquarium. It is, in my opinion, the best store in the Portland/Salem/Corvallis/Eugene area