Feeder Guppy Compatibility

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Since I'm almost certainly going to get feeder guppies I was wanting to know if my plan is ok. Here it is: I divide my 10 gallon tank, algae eater and male guppies on one side, glassfish and females on the other. When it comes time to breed I take 1 selected male and 1 female (maybe 2) and place them in my 20 gallon tank with my violet goby, silver dollar, and marbled algae eater, to mate. After they mate (which may happen within a short time) I remove them and put the male back in the male half of my 10 gallon, and the pregnant female in the 1 1/2 gallon hexagon tank. This tank will be heavily planted so that the fry can hide. I keep female in the fry raising tank till she runs out of juice and I put her back in the female side of the 10 gallon. I raise the fry until they become distinctively male or female and place them accordingly. If there are any flaws in my plan or the compatibility between the little feeders and the other fish Please Tell Me, preferably within minutes of reading this post.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'm not entirely clear on what you're trying to achieve. But, don't keep the female in with the babies, as she'll see them as a nice snack. I'm also a little worried you will have too many fish in the 10g tank, and for the healthiest fry, you need the healthiest parents (not overcrowded or overstressed).

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
I don't mean to be insulting but two of the things you just said are a little conflicting. first of all, I would keep the fry tank, as I said heavily planted with hiding places. And second I don't plan on getting many guppies, 5 at the most. I will allow some fry to be consumed by the mother in order to help with the crowding issue. I'm a bit more worried about my silver dollar becoming aggressive toward my breeding pairs.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think you're trying to breed without really giving enough room for either the parents or the fry. Sure, you can do it, but you won't get the best fish from putting a pair in a potentially stressful situation, then the fry in a very small tank.

I'm still not sure what you're trying to achieve, based on your trying to place one male with one female. Is this some kind of selective breeding program?

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Ever since I bought my violet goby I've wanted to have guppies. The guy at Petsmart told me that when it got to big though he'd eat them... I believed it. So when I got my 10 gallon tank I intended to have guppies, but when I went to Petsmart to get them I was told that I could'nt get more than four or five, so I went home with one. It died two days later. Then finally I found feeder guppies, a hardy little guppy that could easily be kept in my tank. This is just a way to keep my little guppies without having an overrun tank full of them where they breed every chance they get. If you have a better idea or a suggestion of how I could improve my plan feel free to tell me.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Really, you'd be better off getting one male and onefemale guppy. You don't need 5 of them.

I think trying to grow them out in a 1.5g tank isn't a good idea, as there's not enough room for good growth. Probably better to put the fry straight into the 20g tank as food before they get stunted/sick.

Of course, as your goby grows, you're going to need a bigger tank, so that should free up a smaller tank for a better breeding operation. :)

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
I think I'm just going to do what I was going to do. I'll get the guppies and put them in my ten gallon tank. I'll have boughten hiding places for the babies. There will be no division, no selection, and no complication. Do you think I should quarantine the feeder guppies?