Feeding a lionfish

Jul 11, 2004
Wisconsin
Visit site
I am starting out with a quote from a previous tread of ours:
Originally posted by S.Reef
The damsel has probably been eaten. You should feed your lionfish 2 times a week. Squid, shrimp, krill, damsels, mysis are all good foods. Do not feed Feeders! They do not contain amino acids marine fish need to help break down waste in the liver.

Sam Reef
We have frozen krill that the lion will eat. How much should we feed him these two times per week?

The LPS said we should feed one krill twice a day, everyday

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
The LFS is wrong. feeding your lion everyday will shorten its life. If its individual krill..how about 2x 1inch krill 2 times a week.

Sam Reef

Originally posted by Josh & Krista
ok, just to clarify
that is 2, one inch krill 2 times per week?

thanks!
That's how I understood it so I'm sure that's what he meant. ;) Also, what size tank are you keeping it in, do you know how big the fish will be at adult size - and what size tank is needed for it at adult size? I'm interested in getting a lion fish myself. Thanks!

-David

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
If you're thinking about getting a lion, make sure they feed it frozen food at the store. I recently went out on a whim and got one not realizing it had been living on ghost shrimp for the past 3 months. It's not as easy as one may think to transfer them from live to frozen. Took 3 weeks just to get the stupid thing to eat goldfish. 2 months later, and it's still a struggle to feed krill.

As far as the amount you should feed it, I'd recomend the basic rule... If it's done eating, stop feeding. I've been feeding mine every two or three days, 3-4 krill. The reason for not feeding daily has nothing to do with the health of the fish, it's more laziness on my part.

Nice thing about lions is there is no special care needed. They do get big though, so a suitable size aquarium is a must have. Depending on what species you have, it's probably safe to assume it'll grow to about football size given enough room and a healthy lifestyle.

BTW, I got hammered by mine a while back... stay away from the fins!!! It HURTS!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
No...The reason you do not feed a lionfish everyday is because in the wild it is not meant to eat everyday...in a matter of fact it eats only once or twice a week if lucky. In captivity the lionfish's liver will be over worked and will result in the death of the fish. Mind you it may take a few years.

Also it will not grow to the size of a football if it is a dwarf lion. Only Russells, and the Volitan will reach that size.