Feeding anemone

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
what do you all(thoughs of you who have them) feed your anemone? i hvnt been feeding my BTA all too much, and when i have, i have been doing a poor job of trying to get mysis shrimp to it

so what and how is what i am asking

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Mysis though good are not the best food for an anemone. When you feed it you should feed it a small piece of silverside minnow about every other week (depending how large the anemone is) Mine is about 8" across and I feed it 3/4 of a silverside every two weeks. You must be careful not to overfeed and ensure you have good light as they get some of their nutritional needs from light and some from food. What ever you do, do not force feed you should just wiggle the silverside in the tentacles and the nem will grab hold and pull it into it's mouth. A healthy nem will be sticky to the touch......

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
do u have a clownfish hosting it? it sometimes grab the food around it and feed it to the anemone. pretty interesting stuff.

i heard when its sick u souldnt feed it. you just have to isolate and turn down the light? not totally sure. i might be wrong.

jam3s

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2006
I feed small piece of raw shrimp from your neighbor supermarket. Imo when an anemone is sick it is better to leave it alone because taking in food needs energy and it might be something that the anemone needs to get better. Lighting wise I think you can keep the same.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no if it takes it, it will consume what it needs and expel the rest. If you don't see it expel anything then it is consuming what you are feeding it. Just make sure you are feeding both ends of the silverside.......not just the fillet end....there are nutrients in the head etc that the anemone needs....fish are their natural food.