Feeding Common Plecos

jaglar

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2005
Victoria, BC
Is it okay that my commons wont eat anything but tank algae and pellets? I have tried to give them lettus, fresh and microwaved in water, and zuchini. They wont touch anything.

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I used to do the whole cucumber slices way, but after 2-3 days the rest of the cucumber would turn into mush in the refridgerator. too much of a waste for me. now I just pop in a hikari algae disk every few days and my pleco seems happy.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
My pl*cs favorite so far has been kiwi slices. I just pop an elastic band around them and a rock and make sure to slice the skin so they don't get hung up in the peel. They seem to take a while to try anything new -- once they try a few things and find that they like them, they'll try anything you offer.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I had a similar problem to rhoymand with my zucchini. So, I bought one, sliced it up, blanched the slices, froze them on a cookie sheet then put them in a bag in the freezer. Now all I have to do is defrost them when I want to feed veggies. I guess you could also buy frozen zucchini slices.

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
ive never seen my Pl*cos eat until yesterday the biggest one got a shrimp pellet. ive tried everything from algae discs to zuchini slices. i think the oscars eat the zuchini, i try to hide it in the cave but they still find it.

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
Yes, I have a same problem with my pleco. Have tried to give him cucumber, zucchini (courgette), peas, lettuce and even a slice of orange! And no, he doesn't eat them at all. So I just give him an Hikari algae pellet every night, and by the morning the pellet's gone. I think will try some bloodworms later on this week, in case he likes his meat :D

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
I have never seen my plec eat, the only way I know he's eating is by the yard-long (not really) poops he leaves everywhere. I also know he likes bloodworms because the leftovers are gone, they do like their meat, but too much can give them blocked intestines. Sorry to hijack, but is it true that commen plecos need driftwood? I want to make sure he's eating O.K

Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
I read somewhere that it's healthy for pleco's stomach to suck something off th edriftwood. Well, I bought a bit of wood for my pleco, but it;s covered in sand. He hasn't touched it!! Strange creatures they are, plecos! :)

jaglar

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2005
Victoria, BC
I GOst it! I got the little cuties to eat lettus! I cooked it and then left it in there a lot longer than I prolly should have. Well it worked! they scarfed it all up! Yum! they seem so satisfied with me:D
Thanks guys,*thumbsups now on to some other foods, would they like yams? ;)