feeding dwarf gourami

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I've had my dwarf gourami a couple of days and when I feed my fish tropical flakes. If he eats anything at all, its miniscule amounts. What else could I feed him?

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
My dwarf gouramis always love the bloodworms I put it...although you have to watch not to feed to many of them (I don't think its recommended to feed bloodworms everyday...I did that at first and my dwarfs became bloated...way overfed). Sometimes I put in zuchini (sp?) for plecos and the gouramis love to pick at it...for whatever reason they like to pick at it after its been siting in the tank for a few hours. Usually I will put it in at night before bed, first thing in the morning most of it is still there but then I will check back a few hours later and it will be all gone. Its not a normal thing to feed them but I don't think its bad. I freeze the zuchini (changes the molecule bonds, makes it easier for the fish to chew and digest) and then I cut small chunks off and thaw it with hot water. It floats though...so you need something to hold it down (I have a veggie clip that suctions to the glass).

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
They are normally little pigs and will eat anything you toss in the tank. Just like Jennifer said don't feed blood worms every day. They should be reserved as a treat because they can cause constipation.

I would guess yours are still getting used to the tank and should come around soon.