Feeding problem

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
My tank has a lot of surface motion and overflow. When I drop flakes they would swirl around and would later get sucked in by the overflow. So recently I bought a feed ring. But the problem with the feeding ring is that only my clown and few other fishes actually come up to the feed ring and feed. While the other such as the Royal Gramma and Nasso Tang would remain at the bottom of the tank waiting for the flakes to drop. And they never do as they always get sucked in by the overflow before they can drop.

When I feed them dried shrimp and krill, it is the same problem. Once a week I feed them finely chopped fresh shrimp. Small pieces of shrimp would drop the bottom at slower rate than pellets, thus enabling them to catch their food. Pellets falls to fast for my fish.

Can someone recommend a type of fish that is slow sinking?

Rohn

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
If you just have the overflow running you should be ok to use a feeding ring. A feeding timer is a feature of the Tunze setups incidentally. you can always soak the flakes for a second, or hold them in the water so they sink rather than float, or try different pellets.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Even if I simply shut of the pump from the sump, I still have 2 powerheads, wave maker and a closed loop that create a downward motion.

I tried soaking the flakes and it works. The only problem is I simply don't have the time to do that every day for atleast 2 or 3 times a day.

I thought it might be easier to ask one from anyone with this kind of experience rather trying every brand of pellet food on the market.

Rohn

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well when I feed flakes I take a pinch and swish my fingers in the water just under the surface that way the flakes swirl in the water and every one gets some. If I didn't do this they would just get sucked into the skimmer.....and gone.....besides gumming up the skimmer...... I also do this with frozen mysis......i just swish it in the water......no problems....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no it takes but seconds......pinch of food swish in the water an inch below the surface and let it go.......pretty soon they will be rushing to your fingers to eat directly from them.....at least my clowns do.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Found a better way. I bought a turkey baster and modified it by attaching the long ridgid airline tube. I simply place the food in the baster and release. Since it is already soaked in water, it drops to bottom of the tank rather than floating.

Doesn't have touch the water or take the hood off. Putting your hand in the water early in the morning when your dressed to go to work isn't pleasant.

Rohn

Xeruf

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2006
I jsut take some water from the tank in a cup, drop the flakes and mysis shrip in that than dump it infrount of a powerhead, it spreads nicly throught out the tank for the fish to eat, with virtuially no overflow loss