Feeding Question

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay this may be a totally lame question. Then again is there such thing.
How does one target feed a frogspawn? or any other coral for that matter.
I try to make sure that when I feed mysis I use a turkey baster and squirt some in the sweepers of the coral. Only issue is that there happens to be two clowns that won't leave the coral and manage to eat anything that gets shot that way. So bad that the larger clown almost sucks at the tip of the baster and goes crazy when she sees it. I also feed bioplankton and coral plankton about 2-3 times a week diluted in tank water and then added to the tank. Should this be squirted with the turkey baster to the gsp and galaxia and frogspawn???????

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Should be fine...corals also absorb nutrients from the water, which usually include planktons and fish feces, along with the sunlight. What your doing is fine.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Target feeding those large sps as you're doing is the right way to go. If the clowns continue to misbehave, and can't be distracted with more food, feed the coral and straight away cover it with a yoghurt pot or similar so the fish physically can't get to it.

Frankly speaking the dead supplements are pretty valueless - live supplements are somewhat better, though it is worth asking what coral actually eats phytoplankton. Live zooplankton is fantastic, but hard to get hold of. For my zo's, larger polyps I like cyclopeeze.

Very few corals are fully autotrophic, most require feeding of some sort. If you feed heavily many corals will do surprisingly well in lower light than you'd imagine, but the reverse is not always true - rarely can you use light to get round feeding problems

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thanks Wayne, I have been using mysis. Would it be better to mush the mysis up to break it up into smaller pieces then use the baster to squirt this to the mouth? What about the galaxea it's tentalces are very small and don't hold the food like the fs sweepers do. They do look like they are thriving and I haven't seen any indication that they aren't.