Feeding Silverdollars

Kay

Medium Fish
Apr 8, 2006
Anchorage, Alaska
I guess the rule for food is you're supposed to put food in the tank until they wont eat anymore. I'm not sure if I'm feeding my guys to much... When I put in flake food no one seems to go for it. My silverdollars both eat Shrimp Pellets (which is ment for the pleco and redfin shark) and "ColorBits" (ment for the gouramis)... I'm not sure what foods I'm supposed to be giving them and if the foods with their picture on the label is really ment for them. Petstores are making me extremely skeptical of everything. :eek:
Oh and my silverdollars dont seem to stop eating the colorbits... I figure put them in for a couple minutes til the fish wont eat anymore to see how much they will eat... but they keep eating!! Pigs.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
Well just becuase the there are pics of fish on the food doesnt mean that those are the only fish that can eat that food. All Tropical foods can be eaten by all FW fish. Some fish develope preferences. A varied diet is the best way to feed your fish. Also try feeding your mid to top level fish first and then the bottom feeders.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
Along with what Guppy said- feed the mid and top levels first and wait until after you've turned the lights out to feed the bottom feeders. Bottom feeders like your Pleco are nocturnal and prefer to dine at night anyway ;)

As long as all your fish are eating, I wouldn't be too worried about who's eating what. Also, try feeding your bottom feeders some algae wafers, they like those and usually less of the other fish will chase after them.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Silver dollars are mostly herbivores, so you might try either blanched veggies (peas, cucumber, zucchini, spinach) or flake with a high vegetable content.

They're fairly shy fish, so you need to watch to make sure the other fish aren't crowding them away from the food.

And yes, feed fish only as much as they will eat in 3-5 minutes. Overfeeding is bad for fish.