femal betta in tank?

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
My female betta has been nothing but a pleasure in my Asian tank. She's in there with two zebra danios, two harlequin rasboras, a three spot gourami and a cherry barb. The gourami chased her a lot when she first arrived, and she mostly hid under the rocks for a week. But then he seemed to let up on her and she came out to show her vibrant colors and gentle mannerisms.

I'd very much recommend her to anyone.

My MALE betta is in my community tank and he loves it.
It's not the type of fish (unless you put a fish with another... that it generally eats), it's the Bettas individual personality. Seeing as mine isn't aggresive it's fine. A female will be fine in a community tank also, but sometimes they can get territorial and aggressive.

TrpTwlght

Medium Fish
Jun 5, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.authorhouse.com
Female Bettas are prone to be less agressive. But basically the same rule applies to them as to the males. Just don't put them with other Bettas, male or female. And keep them away from fish that have fancy fins that might be mistaken for a Betta. I've actually had more trouble with my other fish bullying the Betta than the other way around. Bettas are such slow moving fish that they are easy targets for agressive fish. Same goes for the females.

how will you know if its okay in your tank... you wake up one day and all your fish have been attacked and you know it was a big no no? or can you tell pretty much tell on how it acts when you put the betta in your tank... i thnk a betta would be okay with my tetras, im not sure about my male guppys... but if wose comes to worse and i see bullying, i will just have to take the betta out, and house it elcewere...

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
My female betta shows no agression to any of the fish in my tank. She's been in there for a couple of weeks and never once attacked any of the other fish, execpt when I had that female guppy in there, but the guppy attacked her more than she attacked the guppy. So I say female bettas are excellent community fish :D .

Bettas are generally fine with tetras like i said. My female is with six. Tetras stay out of the way (referring to the small types, like neons), they can easily swim away from the Betta if she is feeling a little grumpy that day... so they are fine companions.
The best thing to do is get the tetras first... leave them for a few days in the tank, then introduce the Betta in my opinion, then the tetras would've worked out all the hideouts (which you must have, perhaps some plants as well)... I can say they'll get along fine though.

i have 4 beautiful male guppies that i am worried about... last nite i put my male betta in the tank to see what would happen, and after a few min my betta started going after my guppies... my betta is a year and a half old, and has only been by himself his entire life... im thinking if i find a very young betta and put it in. that they would grow up with the other fish and everything would be okay?

timisu87

Large Fish
Oct 15, 2004
Visit site
As long as the betta doesnt have the tank to himself and claim territory while she is alone, it'll be fine. Introduce the tetras first, then the betta. And everything should be smooth sailing.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
We have a male betta in a community tank: six tetras. He doesn't flare at them ever and only chases them once every six months. There is one large tetra that chases the betta. We have two female bettas and each are in their own place. Both females were very aggressive towards each other which is why they are separate now. I did put one of the females in our 20 g tank, and she did chase the danio all over. Good luck. :)

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
I've got a female in my 55g along with pearl gouramis, some celebese rainbows, cories, otos, some other small peaceful fish, etc. She's a joy. Tank wouldn't be the same without her. Her and a cherry barb play tag most of the day, never seen a nip in either direction (I think they're in love :rolleyes: ). Of course, it depends on the female. Some females are just as aggressive as males. It's a trial and error situation. The day a betta goes in the tank, one ought to be at home to supervise in case you get a feisty one:D