female betta and bubble nest?

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Ok- so i have my 2.5 with a divider. a male in one side and a female in the other. my male built his bubble nest (i'm not going to breed them) and it's in the corner right next to the divider. odd thing is- there's a smaller "bubble nest" in the female's half of the tank too, and i have no idea how it got there. it's right next to the male's nest, so at first it thought maybe the bubbles had seeped through the divider, but now that i looked closer, it's impossible. do females ever blow the bubbles at all? i used kirkland bottled water for them with the betta water conditioner- it's the same as always though. any thoughts?

Mar 11, 2003
Yep, females can build bubblenests. Sometimes females are the ones to build the nests and even take care of the eggs after spawning. Very unlikely that they do that, but the bubbles are perfectly normal.

Alexa

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Haha thanks again! Yah the bubbles on her side kind of weirded me out for a minute. The male shows off for her nonstop. I have a couple of empty ten gallons and I could easily set up a spawning tank- but I don't think I have the time :(.