Female Betta: Dying or not?

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Hello everyone. I am in great need of some expert opinions here. I have a young female betta that I have had for probably 3 months or so. She used to live in a small 2 gallon tank in my room, but now she is in a 29g community tank in the living room. Here is her story:

I was away from my apt. for a night, and when I came back the next day after classes (about 5:30pm), my room was FREEEEZING. The crappy window had blown open at the top, so freezing air had been coming into the room. Apparently, her small heater pooped out because it was probably working too hard to warm the water (it was never that trusty anyway). Needless to say, her tank temp dropped dramatically. It was about 55 degrees F!!! :( Poor thing was lying on the gravel, barely alive. In a panic, I ran to get my portable "tank" carrier thing, and filled it up with warmer treated water. I got her out of the colder water and put her in the new tank. I was in such a panic, I didn't even adjust her to the temperature (Which I regret deeply now). I called the guy at the fish store, and he said the only thing to do for her would be to adjust her to warmer water gradually... after the fact... so I couldnt go back and do that. She improved, and I ended up putting her in the bigger (29g) tank with the trusty heater, and she was fine that night. She was up and swimming around, sorta sideways at times, but very alive. The next day, she was fine-- swimming around like normal, and then that night she started swimming upside down, sideways, twirling around, everything. She continued to do this... Then as of two nights ago, she was doing great, when I found her lying on the gravel breathing heavily and barely moving. I thought about euthanizing her, but I did not. I figured she would die overnight.:( The next day, she was fine! She continued to be fine (eating, swimming a little weird, but doing alright), and then this morning she was lying on the gravel again! Well now she is back up, she still eats and twirls, all that.

I am thinking it is swim bladder disease becuase she can't seem to control her swimming very well, and I read that it is commonly caused by not allowing a fish to adjust to temperatures.

I am wondering if she needs a salt bath, some medicine, or anything else. If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it so much. I hate to see her suffer. Can someone help "Lucy"? *SICK*

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi megskee333. I put my female betta in a 20 gal tank and she did the same thing, just fell to the bottom. I figured she didn't know the "length" to swim to the top for air so she just kept falling to the bottom. I took her out and put her in a 2 gal bowl. She is very happy and healthy. Good luck. Keep us posted.

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
yea one of my females was in a 10 gal, but she was a lot smaller than others so they kinda tore her fin and she was swimming funny so i put her in her own tank. shes happy as ever now.

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Hey :) Thanks for the input! So far she is acting pretty healthy. *fingers crossed* I've been watching her since I posted, and other than whirling around a couple of times ...I think because she tries to get air right in front of the current of the filter *crazysmil.... she is acting pretty normal. When I feed the rest of the fish the Omega flakes, she seems to eat a lot of them... I hope she doesn't go overboard. I make sure to give her betta pellets too most of the time so she gets the nutrition she needs.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I agree, this is probably part temperature shock and "bigger tank" syndrome. Whenever I have gotten bettas from little cups at the fish store and I put them in a real tank, they go into shock with how much room they have to actually swim around. There isn't anything you can really do for her, I wouldn't shock her anymore by moving her back to her own tank. Keep the temperature steady and hope for the best.