female betta tankmate ideas

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
does anyone have some good ideas for tankmates for 2 female bettas in a 10 gal? i used to have a 3rd and 4th but one died and the other was too mean so i took her out. i would like something other than more bettas tho i have wayyyyyy too many *twirlysmi

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Females do well with pretty much any other community fish. Maybe check out some of the smaller schooling fish (tetras, rasboras, danios), and get a school of whichever you like. Or you could do some guppies or platies. Since it's planted, if you want some algae control you could get some oto catfish, they stay really small.

What colors are the Bettas? You should get something complementry. Here are a few combos I seen work for me:

Centerpiece Fish Color/Additional Fish Color
Yellow/Red/Black/Purple/Brown/White/Green
Red/Blue/Black/Green/Yellow/Purple/Brown/White
Blue/Black/White/Red/Green/Pink/Brown
Black/Red/White/Blue/Green/Yellow/Pink/Purple/Brown
Green/Yellow/Red/Blue/Black/Pink/Purple/Brown
White/Red/Black/Blue/Green/Yellow/Pink/Purple/Brown
Pink/White/Blue/Green/Black
Purple/Black/Red/Green/Yellow
Brown/Black/Red/Blue/Green/Yellow

I use this guide for my frens tank and theirs look good. I hope it is helpful.

Last edited:

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
im thinking im going to do the schooling thing...but how would some shrimp fair in there? you think the bettas would attack them?

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
yea i was going to try some ghost shrimp out, they are fun to watch. also have two otos and maybe some schooling ones.......i want to have a dwarf gourami in there too, do you think he would work out as well, maybe as a trade off for the schoolers?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You could try, watch him to make sure he doesn't bully the females or vice versa. It might not work if all three fish want their own territory, though, so make sure you have other plans for him if they don't get along.