Female Betta Won't Eat

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone. I got a female betta a little over a week ago, and she is just a baby. She is about 1.5 inches long, including her fins. To this day, I have never seen her eat. I have tried flake food, blood worms, and the Hikari betta pellets, which all of the males eat all the time. She won't take it. I know she sees it, but isn't interested. She has no competition for the food, she just lives with some cories that eat shrimp pellets from the bottom. I don't understand why she won't eat? She shouldn't be stressed, her water is warm, aerated, clean... It also seems like her breathing may be a little fast. Her fins are perfect, she isn't bloated, no marks on her. If anyone has a little insight, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
have you tried hatching some live baby brine shrimp? Mine loves them :) If you could get her to eat something maybe you can wean her off of that onto some 'normal' food...its possible that when you got her she hadn't seen anything to eat except one specific thing and now she doesn't know what other food is?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Give her a little while, she'll eventually try something. I had a male betta that wouldn't eat anything at all for a week and a half, then afterwards would only eat bloodworms. Sometimes they can be a bit picky at first, but they'll eat before they starve to death.