Female Bettas Moving Together

Jan 10, 2006
Hello,
Today I purcahsed a second Female Betta and I read in my Betta book christmas of 2004 and it stated that female bettas can live together . I put them together and they seem to be shy at first.

I check back forty minutes later and they're going at it (fighting nonstop) so i remove one and put in a bettahex.

Know i read today it stated that only female sibiling fish that grow from shy can live together only. Have anyone else experienced this .;)

Zman16

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2005
Pennsylvannia
I sorda did. I got a betta once, somebody gave me it, I thought it was a girl, becouse it had short fins, so I put it in my tank with the other female betta (named betty) . It was okay for a while, but after a day or two I saw that Betty had one of her fins bit off. I got the other betta into a different tank and I realized it was a male betta imbellas, and I still have him.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Bettas are highly individualistic fish. Some females will be fine together, some are as feisty as males. Some females make for good members of a community tank, others will wreak havoc and kill off your other fish. It just boils down to the fish, I suppose.

Now, having more than two could help spread out the aggression...there wont' be one dominant fish and one submissive fish.

You may want to try exchanging the aggressor for another one and trying that.

The important thing is to introduce the new fish (like you did) when you are around to supervise and make sure that everything is honky-dory.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
When I tried 3 females in a 2.5g, that didn't work at all... the new females harrassed and tore up the established female fairly quickly, I seperated them both into my 10g. There, the two females still didn't get along, so one went into my 37g. That one is still there, the female that stayed in my 10g jumped after a month or so.

I got 2 free female bettas from school, and I tried to put them into the same cup to take them home in... they went after each other in less than a minute, with some serious tail damage going on. Had to seperate them for the ride home. Once home, I put them both in the same 37g with the established female betta. The established female chased the others for a while, mostly because it was a new tank and they were pretty stressed out. After a day or so, all three got along fine. Two even hang out near each other and eat up in the same corner. I had to remove the other because her damaged tail looked like it was getting tail rot, but she wasn't being attacked after that first day. I'll be putting her back when she gets better.

I conclude that they can get along with enough room, but in a 10g or smaller having more than one has a decent chance of failure.