Female bettas with my male

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Hi,

I know that the whole "male and female bettas together" topic has been discussed before, however, I just wanted confirm it was okay. Further I want to know if I could put a few female bettas with my male betta in my current tank setup....

In my 20G i have a school or cories, school of neons and 1 male betta. He must be young because he is quite small. I put him a few days ago to check his temperment. He hasn't flared at anything and more else swims around being nosy. When I first put him in he chased my neons around a bit but he wasn't flaring at them, I think he just wanted to check them out. So I think he is not as agressive as some bettas...would females be okay with him? Is the tank big enough to have that many fish? The tank is fully planted and has lost of rocks/caves.

Thanks,

Jennifer

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Well, I personally wouldn't try it. Even when breeding, it's my understanding that you have to remove the female immediately afterward to keep the male from attacking her. Chances are, even if you don't have problems now because of his immaturity, one day his hormones will kick in and you will arrive home to a tank of death. Too risky for me, anyway.

Rossignol

Medium Fish
May 9, 2006
hmm id say if u want males a females together at least 1 male to 3-4 females or otherwise the male will pick on one of them. but ya depends how much room u have in your tank i guess

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Incidentally I would go on to say you should avoid having multiple females in a tank as well. I've seen some stuff happen in that regard.

In fact our local PetsMart used to stock female bettas in a tank, but they seem to have since switched to keeping them in the little cups just like the males. I'm pretty certain they were learning from experience.

Jun 20, 2005
Southeastern Michigan
I actually have experience in this! No, do NOT mix in the females with the male, he'll attack them in minutes, and you'll be lucky if they don't die or have their fins shreaded. Then again, you did say the neons are safe with him? Probaby just cause they swim a whole lot faster. I one put in a feeder fish in with my betta and had the, umm, pleasure of seeing him bite onto it's body and just swim around with it, sorta like a dog who hold onto a toy and chews the stuffing out of it.

Sorry about that, your fishies personality could be entirely differant from mine (David-the betta- flares at me when I walk by), if you think he'll be good and the females have a lot of hiding places, go ahead and try. I once had a male that was afraid of the females....

Soooooo, I guess it all depends on the behaviors of the fish involved.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i have heard of a a few females being kept in the same tank as a male, true it was a 75 or 90 gallon community with lots of plants for hiding, and the male pretty much kept to one side... but i would never try to keep a male and a female in the same tank unless for breeding only

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
echoofformless said:
Incidentally I would go on to say you should avoid having multiple females in a tank as well. I've seen some stuff happen in that regard.

In fact our local PetsMart used to stock female bettas in a tank, but they seem to have since switched to keeping them in the little cups just like the males. I'm pretty certain they were learning from experience.

are you positive that they were female? the more wild'esk and wild male bettas look like females

from all of my research and reading on bettas i havnt seen anything to say that females are very rough with each other, i think there may have been a few cases where there was a rough female or two, but nothing to say you cant keep more than one in a tank

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
depends how densed ur tank is,i dont have any problem with them,maybe sometimes the male will chase the females around,just the fin being injured.But once they breed,the male will turn very fierce,he might injure ur neon or cory to defense his eggs...so is quite a bad idea to add females with him...