Female Bettas

Fishlover

Large Fish
Sep 12, 2004
Florida
Visit site
I was thinking about getting a female betta and was wondering, can female bettas be together?Or are they like male bettas were they have to be seperated.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Depends, I had 2 females that fought like males.
I had 3 females that the dominant one chased the other 2 into continual hiding.

If the tank is big enough, you can try it but be prepared to return them if things go wrong.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
Yes, some females are as vicious as males when it comes to other bettas. Some are peaceful.

A lot of the time, people can successfully keep several bettas together (4-5+), though I dont' suggest just keeping 2 together. Also, it depends a bit on how large the tank is, as well as the temperment of the individual bettas you get.

Oct 22, 2002
I am able to keep one male with one female in a heavily planted tank, with a few other fish. The female can get away if she wants and the male can use up some of his aggression on the other fish. So you will need some room for them to spread out, and call their own.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
No, not a good idea. Even if he tolerated her, she would be living in constant fear. Plus, if they mated, he would become super aggressive.

In fact, a females presence will make a male more aggressive and threaten both the female (if he does not like her) and he would certainly attack and likely kill any other fish to protect his nest.

No, not even breeders will try that one. After a few months, the males in breeder tanks (sisters and brothers) start fighting and attacking females.

In some cases, females will even attack males (alpha females), especially at night.

Its just not a good experiment, because neither fish will be happy with the other's constant presence.