Female/Male Betta

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I have a turquoise female betta in a five gal non-filtered tank. (Her label from Wal Mart said female.) She is beautiful. The color of a male betta but the finnage of a female betta. She also has a "humped back". I have had her for about ten months. My brother saw her and said she is a male not a female. What he doesn't know is that she has made a bubble nest twice since I have had her. Do females make bubble nests? If not, is it possible for this betta to be a male with deformed fins? Or, is it possible this is a female/male betta combined? I will try to post a picture if one is needed. Thanks for your help. :)

Sep 16, 2005
yes! post a picture! you've piqued my curiosity.

the males of some different betta species (non-b. splendens) have shorter finnage... and walmart isn't likely to catch the difference. so maybe you've got a boy. or a hermaphrodite. or maybe it's just sexually confused.

the best way to tell a female is to look for a little white bump on her underbelly. that will be the ovipositor (egg layer). if you don't have one of those, you've got a boy on your hands.

Last edited:

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
wild betta splendens have short tails! poeple even breed them to still look like this. i liek them this way. if you do have one then you are lucky!

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
geekrockgirl85 said:
yes! post a picture! you've piqued my curiosity.

the males of some different betta species (non-b. splendens) have shorter finnage... and walmart isn't likely to catch the difference. so maybe you've got a boy. or a hermaphrodite. or maybe it's just sexually confused.

the best way to tell a female is to look for a little white bump on her underbelly. that will be the ovipositor (egg layer). if you don't have one of those, you've got a boy on your hands.

Almost every sentence in that post makes you a serious candidate for a wedgie and a "kick me" sign. I'm not sure if it was the voice of Martin Prince or of Lisa Simpson that I found most appropriate to hear in my head while reading it all.

pillowchii

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2005
She's right, though. Look for the lil white bump!

I think you have a plakat male, as well. Go to Walmart and tell them they don't have a single idea what they're talking about. I swear to god I hate that store chain so much. *sigh* ok, I'm finished ranting...lol

the image is too small for me to see, but i have to agree with twoluvcats, it really does seem like a male plakat. i've bought two male plakats before at a store, and mine have the similar build as yours do.

to answer another question, some female bettas DO blow bubble nests. this isn't a very common thing that happens though and it is usually through females that are dominant over others and had to be removed. they tend to blow bubbles, but its very rare and has happened to a few people before.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Thank you Twoluvcats and Theeyrietrainer. My brother was correct. I should have known, as he has been doing this for about twenty years. I have only seen female bettas and male bettas with long fins. I now understand why he attacked my female betta when I put them in the same 5.5 gal tank. I appreciate your time. :)