Female Platy chasing other fish

cassie2

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2005
Ontario
Hi,
We are new here - looks like lots of great info here!!

We recently set up a new 10 gallon tank, and after a failed first attempt (too many fish too fast), we now have a successful tank (knock on wood!!). We have 10 gallon tank, some live plants, all chemicals are ok - no ammonia, no nitrites, low nitrates, ph ok, slightly hard, a bit of salt added to the water.

We have 5 platies - 1 male (slightly smaller than the rest) and 4 females. We added 3 fish first, then 2 weeks later added 2 more fish.

My question is: One of the females chases two of the other females, often swimming pretty fast, and nips at them. But she only chases these two. The chaser and one chasee are from the initial set of 3 fish, and she chased her from day 1, and the other chasee is from set 2.

I'm concerned that this will stress out the fish being chased. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I should or can do?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the tank :)

Are you 100% sure it's a female doing the chasing? As long as no one is getting injured, it's probably not a problem. If you see other fish with wounds or pieces of fin missing, you might want to try to exchange her for another fish at the store. :)

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
welcome! it could just be a territoral thing like 'i was here first so get out', some pics would be good then we could check if it is a female or male, it should be ok she may just want to play, if not try to swap her for a new fish

cassie2

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2005
Ontario
Hi,
Thanks for the quick replies. Its definitely a female, and she is definitely chasing two other females specifically. One of the chasee's is from the initial batch of 3 fish, and the other chasee is a newer addition. I don't have any pictures yet, the fish won't sit still!!! :D

The chaser chases and tries to nip at the other fish. But only those two. She can swim right by the male, and right by the other female with no reaction to them at all.

Exchanging the fish is a last resort - the tank is my 5 year old daughter's in her room, she is very attached to her fish, and would notice in an instant if I did anything. I'll have to very gently broach the exchange topic with her. My initial guess is that she'd say "no", but you never know with kids!!!

"Fish friend", you mention that she "may just want to play" - is chasing and nipping "normal" fish play behaviour? I'll have to watch closely for actual biting - I don't see any injuries yet, but the chasing is at times fast. I just wish they could talk and tell me if its all just for fun or not!!!! :rolleyes:

Any other ideas would still be welcome!!! Thanks MUCH!!