few betta questions =]

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
hey guys.
I brought home a betta for my working desk and now I am hooked!! I know almost nothing about the types of betta and I'm curious. I read on a forum that walmart normal only sells veil tail bettas for 5 bucks, supposed to be a rip off? Well i guess that's what i have. The only other type ive herd of is HM. What is HM??? I want to buy a couple more of theses guys. I am planning on getting a 3 gal tank + divider with 2 males, but I'm wondering if they would go nuts and flare all day. Also at my lfs it's really horrible how they keep the bettas. Even for a store that specailizes in pets, they keep the poor guys in small drinking cups... making it really hard to tell what shape the fish is in. Also is there a way to make homemade dividers? can anyone recomend a good betta site? thanks!
Bettas are the best!!!!- my betta is named Red. Last night if forgot to turn his light off. He was flaring at me so i turned it off lol. I guess he needs his sleep. How do bettas sleep when they have to breath all the time?

Mar 11, 2003
There are many other tail types like- Delta, Superdelta, Fan, Double, Crown, Comb, Heart, ect. Although not all of them are recognized as tail types.

I make dividers using plastic canvas, others use plexiglass. I prefer plexiglass but its too expensive/complicated for me to work with. If you want your tank to be pretty, go for the plexiglass. You can also buy dividers. They are usually pretty expensive ranging from $9-15.

I have a few sites on my links page : www.geocities.com/AlexasBettas/Links

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Welcome Tempation - betta's Rock!

I have a couple 3gal divided tanks, here is the thread I posted the images on:
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10709

You can have 2 males in a divided tank. Yes they will flare a lot at each other, but it is perfectly healthy and they will retain their brilliant color a lot better.

When the room gets dark and the tank light is on, red bettas seem to see their reflection more in the sides of their tank, and the flare at the image. Just turn the tank-light off when it gets dark in the room.

Homemade dividers are pretty easy, just need a 3/16" (3mm) sheet of acrylic, a jig-saw with a metal blade, and a drill with 3/16" bit. Make a cardboard template of the inside of your tank, trace it on the acrylic sheet. Cut the sheet with the jig-saw and drill it full of holes every 3/4" on center. Ta-da! Make sure the divider will NOT allow them to jump over into the other side (yes, it does happen)

Bettas go from $3 to $7 Canadian dollars around here for males. $2 to $5 for females.

Hockeygrrl

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2003
South Jersey
www.noemimendez.com
I have a related question. I too have an office betta. What I want to know is how often shoudl I be feeding him. Currently, I feed him once a day. He eats so quickly that I think that I am not feeding him enough. Or is he just acting like a fish! LOL! Any ideas?

Jun 28, 2003
Scottsdale, Arizona
Visit site
What I do with Den-Ki (me Betta) is feed him little bits all throughout the day. That's the way it can be in nature right? Becides when I eat, he eats. I only feed him a micro-pinch of bloodworms when it does come to feeding time. And it *is* easy to overfeed them because in the wild, they'll eat and eat and eat because food is so scarce sometimes.

From my observations, Bettas only sleep for a little while at a time.

Like about 15 minutes ago, Den-Ki was snuggled amongst his plants not moving and his gills were bearly moving (sleeping). But then he fluttered his fins and started moving again and went right to the surface and took a gulp of air and is now swimming about and looking at things, etc.