Fiddler Crab Info.

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
I saw fiddler crabs at my lfs and thought they were pretty interesting little creatures. Now, I was just wondering how many of you all have had them or currently have them. Would I be able to keep a male and a female or two in the same tank? Would 2.5g be sufficiently sized? What type of filter and heater would you use? And last but not least, do you use sand or gravel?

I know those are a lot of questions, but I haven't found a really reliable webpage giving a lot of information about fiddler crabs. So if anyone has links or experience with the crabs to answer my questions, I'd really appreciate it.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
I have had one in the past and did not like it at all. A large tank will be needed for it (atleast 10 gallon with lots of hiding spots). also put quick moving fish without long fins. My crab would sit on top of a large rock with its claw raised and would catch fish and eat them. i lost 4 mollies and 2 angels in 2 days because of it, it eventually fell off the rock trying to catch a fish and landed on its back and died cause it couldnt flip back over ( i was out of town and came home to find the dead crab with an angel in its claw, and rest of fish scattered throughout tank missing fins ect.)

all in all, i wouldnt recomend getting one :/

Jan 8, 2007
corrupt lfs
If you want to dedicate the 2.5 to the pair then go ahead. But it wont be setup like a typical fish tank. Get some sand and make a beach for half the tank, maybe 2-3 inches high with some sort of decor, they like driftwood. Then fill water to almost the same level as the sand. But the thing is that they require brackish water to survive. Its not hard to do, i dont even measure it out with a hydrometer.
No heater is necessary, you can filter it if you have a small enough one and the water level is high enough. Feed them some sinking bottom feeder food and you are good to go.