Fighting pearl gouramis.

alik

New Fish
Sep 14, 2005
Hi all,

Had my tank set up about a week now after a fishless cycle. Currently have 3 glow light tetras and two pearl gouramis. Everyone settled in fine but the last three days the slightly larger of the two gouramis keeps chasing the smaller one and trying to nip its fins. Wondered if you guys knew why they were doing this for? It often starts just after I feed them....!

Cheers

Fish Friend

Superstar Fish
May 29, 2005
England
www.piczo.com
lol, i think you can only tell by their reactions to other fish and their own kind, in this case, i think the bigger 'male' is bullying the smaller 'male' because he is....smaller, if this carries on then either swap the bully or get rid of them full stop :)

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Pearl gouramis are one of the easier types to sex. The males will have red beneath the chin, and will develop longer fins as they get older. Two males will fight, two females might fight, but a male and female should be fine together.

What size tank are they in?

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
from the sounds of there behaviour i'd say they were both males, male pearls gouramis are almost never aggressive to females. i'd get rid of the smaller male, and get a female instead.

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
Mine have been doing the same fighting behavior for two years. I just provided a cave and lots of plants for them to hide in and it slowed down. Now that the small one is bigger he does not back down and they get into a nasty lip lock with lots of shaking going on. I will be moving them to a bigger tank in the next month so the territory thing should start all over again.