Fiji, Destroyed

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
I'm not sure I should have posted this here or in the lounge but The woman at my lfs which is just a fish store has been in the buisness for thirty yrs and the store is owned by a marine biologist. When i was asking about what types of live rock they had she said the only fiji they have left is from what people who dismantled their tanks had brought/sold back to the store. She said the reason for this was that fijis corals have been destroyed and their is nothing left except bad baserock so they dont get any more "new" fiji rock. I believe her and can see that being true and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the state of fijis coral and have any thoughts about this?
Thanks for any comments and replies

Last edited:

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
altough i don't think there isn't anymore, i was looking for some more in a trusted LFS. They said they were supposed to have fiji coming, but a month later they still don't have some. They have Vanuatu and Tonga left, but the guy doesn't seems to be able to get real fiji .

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I was just kind of wondering, since I'm not a SW guy (yet), what SW aquarists actually do to help preserve natural resources?

Take for example the FW aquatic plant hobby. We trade clippings. While the original plants are harvested from the wild, we don't exactly have a billion dollar business going on that destroys the natural inhabitat.

So, what do SW people do to help promote original habitats in the hobby, say Fiji LR? Do you guys trade LR? Just wondering...this is not a "cheap shot," but a valid question. I ask cause if you can trade stuff like LR, that would be really cool! My LFS has expensive crap rock and I would not want to get LR from them.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Aquaculturing things like live rock and corals, and tank raised fish are starting to become a big priority for a lot of people. Understandably so, until recently i didn't think it was even really possible to damage an entire reef so quickly.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you think the amount of live rock people remove from the reef is damaging it, you are very misguided. The volumes are trivial compared to that destroyed by dynamite fishing for food fish, and for construction work for enhancing tourism. The saltwater hobby could, and should, and does enhance the reefs value by giving a commercial value that is more managable as it is higher value per ton by a factor of some 1000's. It's not utopian, but it's the truth. People don't preserve things that have no value if they have to get food on the table.
FWIW the commercial export of wildcaught fish from S America is a carefully monitored trade supported and policed by, for example, the Brazilian governmetn for exactly the same reasons. If you can't get cash that way , you have to go dynamite fishing, logging and so on.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Which is pretty much what that wwf document linked says if you read it.

But anyway the biggest threats to coral reefs are bad agricultural practices leading to more surface runoff of soil and nutrients, causing water quality problems for fringing reefs, and cgobal warming and excess CO2 in the atmosphere causing waterproblems for corals, so if you want to make a difference start moaning at your government to do something pronto

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
unfortunately the people in power in our government do not believe that global climate change is a real phenomenon......just some sort of scientifimagic hocemus pocemus created by scientists to upset the religious right and the oil companies...

Henry22

Large Fish
Oct 5, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
i Dont believe in global warming. A scientist/researcher at the University Of Virginia has found out that their isnt global warming and taht the holes in the ozone are filling theirselves back in. But whatever, its just my opinion and i dont know much

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
regardless of what we all believe in this planet is SOL unless we have a worldwide effort to clean up....I don't mean to point any fingers but countries like china and mexico have massive amounts of pollution and waste with little regulation of its disposal