Film at the top of the tank?

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
I don't know if it's normal or not but I get this film on top of the water. When I look up toward the light I can see a rainbow like it's some kind of oil maybe. I'm doing water changes every 3 days and it takes about 24 hours to form again after a change. I don't have a test kit so I can't give numbers.

Any ideas?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think most people have this. It usually comes from food that you feed. Best way to make it go away (if its that annoying) is to increase your surface agitation or sometimes running a paper towel over the surface will get rid of it temporarily.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
I have that "film" on my tanks too fishfloater,and like the others said it dose not seem to do any harm.

If you wanted to increase the aggitation get a air pump,and a air stone. The bubbles rising to the top will help. Also I think I have heard somthing about a "spray bar" I dont know what it really is as I never had one,but it might help you.

As for the water above the filter,Im not sure as I have a diffrent one to you. However you might want to try lowering the water level so your out flow breaks the waters surface,this wouls certenly (spl?) increase the aggitation of the water.

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
Stevie said:
I have that "film" on my tanks too fishfloater,and like the others said it dose not seem to do any harm.

If you wanted to increase the aggitation get a air pump,and a air stone. The bubbles rising to the top will help. Also I think I have heard somthing about a "spray bar" I dont know what it really is as I never had one,but it might help you.

As for the water above the filter,Im not sure as I have a diffrent one to you. However you might want to try lowering the water level so your out flow breaks the waters surface,this wouls certenly (spl?) increase the aggitation of the water.
Thanks Stevie. I will re adjust my filter tonight when I do a water change. While looking at the picture I posted above I realized the mount has an height adjustment.

One of these days I'm going to start reading those papers that come with the equipment. :p