Film on top of water

Jul 18, 2007
When I have the lights on, I see a weird film on top of the water. When I look up from the middle of the tank, looking towards the ceiling, I see this same film on the water. I would take a picture, but I am afraid it would not show up. Any ideas of what this could be or could be from?

Sep 9, 2007
Florida
you may need a protein skimmer and that would take care of your problem cuz that film can later cuz nit nat high levels of it so yeah i'm sure you need a skimmer how old is your tank and do you already have a skimmer?

Dec 3, 2007
a protein skimmer will definitely help if you have a saltwater tank, if not then no dice. increasing circulation would be a good bet for a freshwater tank, if you've already got a pump or high flow filter it might just be a matter of directing the output flow closer to the water's surface to get some healthy movement there.

Pearl

100$ in prizes! Enter our Festive photo contest by Dec. 14!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2007
Well here are some other tidbits that might have been missing. It is a fresh water tank. So it looks like a protein skimmer out out. I have a Penguin 330 Dual bio wheel filter. It sits on the right side of the tank though. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. I feed my little guys once a day of flake food. My oto get an algae tab at night. I will try and figure out a way to make more surface agitation.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
you could pick up an inexpensive powerhead for the opposite end of the tank from your HOB filter. you can play with the direction of it to help w/ surface agitation.

in the meantime, you can remove the film by laying paper towels on teh surface to soak up the protein film.

Jul 18, 2007
you could pick up an inexpensive powerhead for the opposite end of the tank from your HOB filter. you can play with the direction of it to help w/ surface agitation.

in the meantime, you can remove the film by laying paper towels on teh surface to soak up the protein film.
That is a good idea about the inexpensive Power head. Thanks for the advice.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007

One of these works good too. My turtle tank water level fluctuates a lot so i have the output low to keep down the noise and this devise skims the protine and stuff of the top supper well. It does suck in food though so you need to turn it down (it's adjustable) durring feeding time.

Jul 18, 2007

One of these works good too. My turtle tank water level fluctuates a lot so I have the output low to keep down the noise and this devise skims the protein and stuff of the top supper well. It does suck in food though so you need to turn it down (it's adjustable) during feeding time.
Epond, what is the name of that model? I added a power head and still and not happy with the surface agitation. I now have two currents that are moving the water, but not as much as I would like. I am truly debating about adding a bubbler or two. I know that would help agitate the water, but only where the bubbles rise to the spot.

Any more suggestions for surface agitation?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
The one i got is made buy fluval, it's a surface skimmer Fluval Surface Skimmer

you might be able to find a better price. Not sure what type of filter you are running but this is designed to be hooked up to the inttake on a canister filter.

Also my dads tank has a bubble wand deal along the back of his tank. This works well because there is a long strip of agitation plus you can see the surface moving forward from the circular flow of the bubbles.

Hope that made since and helps, good luck.