Filter aggravation

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
We've had one of our aquariums for 2 years. For the past while, the filter has been very loud and irritating. Kind of a vibrating buzzing sound. It still works fine but the noise in our living room is frustrating. It is a simple top of tank NISSO filter that came with the tank in a set when we bought it. Surely there must be something we can do. I have tried cleaning out the motor with a strong spray of air from an air can. It didn't work. Any suggestions?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Are you able to remove the impeller? If so, clean out the cavity it sits in well and try just the barest daubs of pure petroleum jelly. If, upon close inspection, the impeller shaft is bent, you may need to find a replacement part.

If you still cannot find the reason why it is making this noise, you may need to piggyback a second filter on this tank in case the main one needs to be removed. Figure on a good month to prime the new filter with beneficial bacteria or be prepared to move as much media as possible into/onto a new filter.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
If it is a pain then buy a new one. They are quite cheap and after two years really doesn't owe you anything.

Rinse the new filter out and give the media a good clean in de-chlorinated water. Then rinse one part of the old filter media in a bucket and put the new one in there for a while. let some of the bacteria get onto the new one. run both filters in the same tank for a week or two . then when you remove the old filter the tank shouldnt notice a thing..
You could even put some of the cleaning water into the tank so that the filters pick up an extra dose of the filter contents..

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for the responses. I will try to examine the filter this weekend and see what my best option is. If it needs replacing, what kind of filter would be best. The same top-tank kind or an under gravel one? It seems the latter are very expensive here in Japan.

By the way, Jake, I lived in Halifax for about 2.5 years from 1996 to 1999. I loved it. I lived on the Bedford Hwy. close to MSVU. Where abouts in Dartmouth do you live?

capper

Medium Fish
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for all your replies. The other day I was cleaning out my tanks and I took apart the noisy filter. I found the culprit. It is hard to explain but a piece of plastic slides into a tube-like piece of plastic. When inserted into the tube-like piece the way it was (and screwed in), it ws cuasing 2 problems (1) a louder than usual noise and (2) weaker motor operation. I managed to set the piece into the tube-like one so that it isn't as deep. I was unable to put the screw back in, however, it seems to be intact enough. As a result, the filter is completely noise-free, and it works at maximum strength. Fortunately, I won't have to purchase a new one. They seem to be rather expensive here in Japan.

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
For future reference, undergravel filter = no-no. They're useless, they don't do much cleaning and to do any maintenance you have to tear the whole tank apart. Can't keep plants. Worthless junk, those filters are.

I don't know what size tank you have, but I'd still say that a hang-on-back waterfall-style filter is usually the best resort.

And do clean your filter out every month or two. That way you'll have a chance to see if anything is wrong, stuck, broken, or just plain too dirty. Better for the tank and for the filter, both :)