Filter arrangement question

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Just got my filters for my 75 gal. and I'm starting to work on setting it up. I bought an Aquaclear 110 (500) and a Rena XP3. Don't really have any choice on where the AC inlet/outlet go, but I have never set up a canister before and I need advice. Planning to put the AC on the left back side because that will place the inlet in the left rear corner. Where should I put the input/outlet from the canister? And should I use the spraybar or the jet nozzle?

Thanks,

Mike

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Heya Dogdoc.

A 75 gallon is typically 4' wide , just like my 80 gallon Oscar tank.

If you look at my signature, you can see a picture of the tank showing my filter setup.

Basically, I have the XP3 filter (great choice BTW) intake tube on the far left, then the spray bar accross the top on the top-left corner going right.

Now, when I had a HOB filter, like your AQ 110 (another good high-volume choice), I put it on the right side, sorta in the middle where the aquarium hood was notched out. Right now a use a powerhead quickfilter internal instead, but it's basically the same idea.

I let my Rena XP3 focus on large mechanical and biological filtration. My quickfilter does only fine-mechanical filtration (fine floss) and needs to be replaced more often than my rena XP floss.

In your case, I would setup the AQ 110 with a bottom sponge, a layer or two of floss (buy the roll stuff and cut it to shape, much cheaper), and then a bag of ceramic bio-disks on-top for added biological.

The nice thing about this setup is if you never need to boost your bio-filter on another tank temporarily, you can move some or all of your AQ filter bio-media to a brand new filter (or move the entire filter) and it will pre-seed your tank quite a bit.

Good luck with the MTS... I hit 16 in operation before I scaled back to the mere 9 + 1 pond I have now ;)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Since you have the HOB it doesn't really matter on thespraybar or the jet nozzle...the hob will take the place of what the spraybar is meant for and if you have issues with evaporation it could potentially lead to more headaches. Totally up to you though...maybe try each and see what you like the look/sound of more?

As for placement...one on each side of the tank would probably ensure you dont have any 'dead spots' in the tank...but it might be cool to hide the intakes of both filters on one side of the tank, so you haveto figure out asthetically what looks best for what you're going to do with the tank also.