Filter Change???

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Hey guys,gonna change out my filter,figure its time to get rid of the 1 that came in my kit. Thinking of going with either the Marineland Emperor Filter System for my 29g or the Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel Power Filter for it. Need 2 things from you guys.......1- what filter to go with for my 29g tank? 2- will it harm or couse interference with my tank balance if i change out the filter with fish in the tank? also going to be adding a few more fish into the tank tomoro as well as put in the new filter.Any help is greatly thanked,look forward to going shopping tomoro!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
or, even better might be an aquatech at walmart if you are looking to do strictly mechanical filtration.

they use even less media than the aquaclears, which would lessen any potential nitrate problems even further.

(of course, you could also simply take out the bio-wheel and keep it for later if you ever set up a FW tank)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
i would wait to put in new fish and a filter, at the same time they couuld cause some problems, your levels will prolly spike and cause some trouble, i would add filter then keep your fish in a qt tank for a couple days and add them one at a time,
good luck
Brahm

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
dont have a skimmer yet,but might as well get 1 of those today too. Im really leaning towards the Marineland Emperor 280 Filter, think its more than what i need. thinking about a smaller protien skimmer sinces its a smaller tank,thinking of getting the Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer by Aquarium Systems,any feedback on these 2 items is great,i plan on buyin today within a few hours of this post.thanks guys for the help!!!! Think i might look at a power head for water movment too,any suggestions?

Last edited:

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
i think what animal was trying to say is that if you have LR in your tank, you already have plenty of biological filtration and have no need for a bio-wheel filter.

what you are probably needing more is water movement and maybe mechanical filtration.

if you DO have plenty of LR i would shoot for a simple powerhead, or maybe a mechanical-only HOB filter like a whisper, aquatech, etc.

this is, of course, provided that you have a skimmer.

algae? i think animal has a "sailfin algae blenny" ??

there are plenty of algae eating critters out there, but salt is a bit out of my league, so i will let others chime in.

Sep 12, 2003
Springfield, MO
I use an aquatech and I hate it. They clog so fast in saltwater. they get a film and the water just comes over the intake.

Sailfin algae blennys help a lot. Get a sand sifting star for the sand, and some turbo snails and hermit crabs.

Bottom line, Best bio filter for salt. Good quality live rock and a lot of it.

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Skipped the new filter since you all said the rock will do it all for me.I have a power head butim not sure how much water should be moving in the tank,im thinkin i may need a stronger 1,or maybe just a better 1. Got some new fish today,pretty much stocked it to the fullest,this is what i got today..........

2 scallops
2 mini crabs
4 damsels
3 snails
and 1 angel fish

this leaves my tanks pretty full i believe along with thier other tank mates witch are.....

1 dartfish
1 hermit crab
3 damsels

Now i have to head back to the LFS to get my protien skimmer,is this 1 ok for a 29g?? Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer by Aquarium Systems?? think its more than i need for a 29g.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Your tank is really full. Even if the fish are juveniles they will be very crowded in a few months. Recommendation for stocking a marine aquarium is 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons. Yes, I personally believe the visi-jet would fit your needs. Turbo snails, Astrea snails are good for getting algae off the sides.

Sam Reef

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Your tank is really full. Even if the fish are juveniles they will be very crowded in a few months. Recommendation for stocking a marine aquarium is 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons. Yes, I personally believe the visi-jet would fit your needs. Turbo snails, Astrea snails are good for getting algae off the sides.

Sam Reef
20 Gallon Freshwater PLanted Aquarium