Filter choice / compatibility

Oct 28, 2008
Hey guys, I want to know what kind of filter that i Should get, I have a 20 gallon, and have a flying fox, , and plan on getting about 4 - 5 angelfish and a Betta. And i was wondering if i'll have any conflicts between the flying fox and the others. and i know the dangers of having a betta with a angelfish but i havent been able to find anything on flying fox'es and compatibility so if you can help me, it'd be nice.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
For a 20, my choice of filter would be the appropriately sized aquaclear power filter. Just check out the box and get one that will do more than 20 gallons.

I'm not real sure about the flying foxes, however a 20 gallon tank is not large enough to support all of those fish. Generally I wouldn't even suggest an angel in a tank smaller than a 29, let alone several and other fish. IF you have to have one, I wouldn't get more than one and I definitely wouldn't put a betta in there unless you get a female.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Its not really about number, its about the adult size of the fish and their territorial and space needs. In a 20, with a flying fox and a betta, I'd say you have room for 5-7 fish that stay small (small tetras or rasboras maybe? Look at harlequin rasboras and lemon tetras, I like both of them a lot) IF your tank is cycled and setup, I think you'd be safe with that.

Oct 28, 2008
Okay, thanks. I got the flying fox from a friend and it takes up so much of the tank's space and I might give it back, or something i don't really know but thanks for the help.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
A 20 is even small for the flying fox... I think they need at least a 30... But angels, being so tall need a tall aquarium like at least 18inches, and I don't think a 20 would be tall or big enough. Betta's can be tricky cause they are so mean but a female, with some smaller fast fish like tetras may work.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
the tanks a bit undersized for the fox, in terms of swimming space, but if you really like it it's not that bad, if your 20G is a long tank its even closer to being okay. Gonna have to say no to the angels though, a 30G is recommended for them, and I would think you would like to have > 1 (i would), so 2 or more wouldn't work out in your 20, if anyone's tried any comments on this?