Filter for a 29g

Allie

New Fish
Aug 25, 2008
NM
I recently acquired a used 29g tank, and I purchased an Aquaclear 50 power filter for it, under the impression that the 20-50 gallon filter sounded more promising than a 10-30. But after hearing much about how you can't overfilter a tank, I am wondering if even just the 50 is enough. My boyfriend has an undergravel that he might give me; will running both of these together be a better idea? I have also heard that undergravel filters can be a pain, but I'm not sure if I want to run out and buy a second hob filter for the tank. Any thoughts?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome to the tank Allie.

The aquaclear 50 should be enough for this tank. A 29 isn't really big enough to require 2 filters. If your filter wasn't enough it would be better to just get a bigger filter. Running 2 filters vs 1 cost more $ in electricity.

Mercury

Large Fish
Jun 11, 2008
Illinois
Making a difference in keeping the water clear of plant debris/waste. My RO filter is VERY slow (and the rest of my family has a interest in using the filter for their own selfish hydration needs), so I rarely have enough water to do a gravel vac cleaning-just a 2 gallon water change a day.

iapetus

Large Fish
Jan 15, 2008
34:09:39N, 118:08:19W
Hm, should I or my boyfriend bother with the undergravel filter then?
Many people, including yours truly, would respond with a hearty no on that! I've heard they're very messy and, frankly, I can't imagine how you keep one really clean. If you've got an HOB filter that will do the trick, I'm not sure why you'd mess with an undergravel filter.