Filter for betta

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Cool, bettas love 10 gallons. I would suggest a low-volume internal filter, like a powerhead filter. The trick is to have mechanical and some biological water filtration without too much current or surface agitation.

Canister would be overkill on a 10 gallon, whispers would work. Again, look for a small, powerhead with filter setup, set it on low and hide it in the back.

mudwoman

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
Massachusetts
Visit site
My betta had to learn to swim when I put in a filter for him. He'd never had current before or much room to swim and get some excercise. Pretty funny. He built up some muscle after about a week and now it doesn't bother him in the least.

maui

New Fish
Jul 7, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
hey method -
im making a divided betta tank from a 50gal (using 6 or more sections) and i'm thinking of using a Fluval filter in my system. How are they current wise? thats my major concern as i dont wanna stress my boys out more then needed.
any info would be real helpful, thanks in advance! :)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by maui
hey method -
im making a divided betta tank from a 50gal (using 6 or more sections) and i'm thinking of using a Fluval filter in my system. How are they current wise? thats my major concern as i dont wanna stress my boys out more then needed.
any info would be real helpful, thanks in advance! :)
Maui,

Hi & Welcome to the Tank!

Thought I would chime-in about divided betta tanks, I have build a couple.

I think a fluval filter would be just fine, just make sure the output flow is split-up so it is not too strong in any individual chamber. Put the intake tube on the far side, and then split-up the outlet tube into each chamber.

I recently built a 17gallon, 6 chamber divided tank. I used a small internal powerhead with quick-filter on the far right chamber, and added a hose to the filter outlet and ran it to the left chamber, where I placed the tank heater. The draw/push flow I created was pretty low volume and did not agitate the surface (bettas hate that), and managed to distribute the heat pretty evenly across all chambers.

I used 3mm (1/8") acrylic sheets I bought from a local plastics wholesaler, and cut it using a jig-saw to fit tightly against the tank and hood (to prevent jumping) and I drilled dozens of 3/16" holes for water flow. I used the gravel bottom and friction fit the top so I did not need any fasters to hold the dividers up.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
A single betta in a 10 gallon, don't worry about cycle. If you add any other fish in there with him, then you will certainly have to cycle the tank because it will do it anyway if you don't.

1 betta in a 10 gallon, with lots of decorations, like live plants, lace rock, and maybe some snails for algea, is a beautiful tank. I love the idea of a betta roaming around his own space, why bother with other fish!

Certainly use a mechanical filter on a 10 gallon, just use a small filter and set it on low. The little bit of water movement will help keep the water cleaner and him healthier than sitting water. Any small HOB filter would do, and Mr. Betta will have enough space to avoid the filter current when he wants too.

See, the problem with POWER filtering most smaller sized betta tanks, like a 2 or 3 gallon tank, is that there is not enough room for the betta to escape the current, so he has to constantly be swimming. In a 10 gallon tank, he can avoid the filter current and make a bubble nest.

Now, I use jars for all my bettas for now to avoid spreading sickness amoung my adult breeders, plus I have so many young adults and fry I need to have jars anyway, so its not like I would be saving any energy. But even my jars are large, with java moss and regular water changes and attention, so its not a terrible life!

I am planning a custom-made, heated, shelving unit system, for my betta collection. about 10" wide by 12" deep by 5" tall (2.6gal) trays, that slide-out like dresser drawers in a 6' tall by 48" wide cabinet. Each row will have lighting, and the cabinet will have a copper-tubed radiant heating system so I can put it in the basement. Its probably goind to cost me about $600 to make, so I am just in the planning stages for now.