Filter (Order of Fluval Parts)

Oct 2, 2006
Reading, PA
Hello everyone,

I have a Freshwater tank and use an aquaclear filter. I would like to know what order I should put my fluval carbon & nitrate remover bags in the filter. Going from bottom to top, I have the sponge filter, the carbon bag, and then those white rocks in the netted bag.

Do I put the fluval nitrate bag on top of the carbon bag or under the carbon bag? Does it matter? Thanks!

~ New fishy tank owner *SUNSMILE*

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Toss the nitrate remover. It's really just ammonia remover, and will either make for a weaker biological filter or slow down your cycle. It isn't needed, and is just one more thing to deal with.

I use ceramic cylinders in my fluval's first tray. They are good at trapping large debris. Then I have the biological filter, then the carbon.

I've tried every combination and to tell the truth it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other how you arrange your media.

Sep 28, 2008
and... toss the carbon... unless you are trying to remove a medication... no real need for it. Proper maintenance and water changes go a lot farther than a bag of carbon. IMHO...;)

Last edited: